Today's recipe is a Indo-chinese dish , Manchurian with a difference ... yes !! "Broccoli Manchurian" . It was rainy day so i thought of making some spicy dish and got an idea of using broccoli in a unique way . Broccoli's are high is vitamin c and blocks the growth of cancer cells.It may also prevent heart diseases, so do try this nutritious dish .
IngredientsBroccoli (seperated into florets)-1 small
Corn starch- 1tsp
Garlic (chopped)- 1 tsp
Ginger (chopped)- 1 tsp
Green chilli - 3
Red chilli paste- 1/2 tsp(optional)
Soya sauce- 1tsp (optional)
Tomato ketchup - 4tbsp
Salt to taste
Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Spring onions (chopped)- 2 stalks
Oil for deep frying
- Chop 2 green chillies in a chopper or mixer. Add half the broccoli(seperated into the florets) and continue to chop. Transfer into a bowl, grate rest of the florets and add to the bowl.
- Add refined flour,corn flour, black pepper pd, salt, 1/2 of the spring onion greens, garlic , ginger and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into small balls with damp hands. Heat oil to deep fry the manchurian ball. Slide the balls into the hot oil and deep fry on medium heat till brown and crisp.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a separate non stick pan add the remaining ginger, garlic and saute.
- Chop 1 green chilli finely and add along with soya sauce, tomato sauce, red chilli paste , salt.
- Mix 1 tsp corn flour with two tbsp of water and set aside.
- Add 1/4cup water to the sauce in the wok and cook for two to three minutes.
- Drain the broccoli balls and add to the sauce . add other half of the spring onions greens and toss.
- Add the corn flour mixture and mix well. serve hot garnished with the remaining spring onion bulbs.
- No need to add water while making the Manchurian balls dough as broccoli as such contains moisture so it will not need water . Just keep on kneading it and you will see it forms nice firm dough.
- Soya sauce and red chilli paste are optional, if you don't have these in your pantry readily available add red chilli flakes to the sauce.
- To give it a complete chinese touch add 1/2 tsp vinegar, a pinch of ajinomoto to the sauce at the end .