When i first saw tis dessert in "masterchef " i madly wanted to try tis recipe ... n i got a perfect reason to try tis for an dessert competition conducted by my hubby's office team.. it was overwhelming moment for me when i knew from over 25 entries i won the frist prize for " Rasgulla Black forest cake" .. So this recipe is close to my heart :) I have to thank master chef india and chef pankaj bhadouria (winner of MCI season 1) for sharing such an awesome dessert .. I am a great fan of master chef n was excited to try tis dessert for the dessert competition .. i had displayed 5 entries for tis competition : rasgulla black forest cake, gulab jamun cheese cake, gulab jamun, sweet potato pakoda jamun, kaju kathli apples and mango panne cotta I wanted to share the dessert table with my readers so here is my dessert table ....
I'll be sharing other recipes which i have displayed soon .. for now i wanted share my first award winning dessert from master chef kitchen .. awaiting to watch their next season :) Happy thanksgiving to all my readers .. thank you for your appreciation and support....
Next comes the ingredients and method of this scrumptious indian style cake :)
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Cocoa powder
2 cups sugar ( you can reduce the sugar to 1 1/2 cup if u like less sweet )
1 cup butter
1 cup yogurt
11/2 cup Reduced Fat Milk or whole milk
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
Chocolate bar ( Grated) or chocolate shaving's
Rasgulla's 8-10 ( for rasgulla recipe click here )
chocolate glaze (optional )
470 ml Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Melt butter in a pan on a very low temperature.
- Remove the butter from the flame and let the butter cool.
- Sift Maida, cocoa powder, baking powder, cooking soda and salt together. Make sure your mixture should not be lumpy.
- Grease a baking tray with little butter. Dust it with Maida and keep it aside.
- In another bowl beat butter then slowly add the dry mixture while beating well in one direction. Keep beating until the entire dry mixture is fully incorporated.
- Now add the milk slowly and beat for a minute.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan. You do not have to spread the mixture using a spoon, if the mixture is of the right consistency.
- Place in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes . The temperature and baking time can vary from oven to oven. Hence, test the cake at around 25 minutes to see if it is done. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a wooden tooth pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. When it is done, let it cool for a while completely . NOTE: Its very important for the cake cool completely which will avoid crumbling and also the frosting will not melt ..
- Now slit the cake horizontally in to two layers .. I baked two thin cakes ...
Assembling the cake:
First moisture the cake with 2 tsp of sugar syrup from rasgulla by gently starting from the corner to the middle of the cake..
- Now take first layer of cake and spread the blue berry jam. on top of which spread whipping cream all over the layer..
- Now arrange pieces of fruits (orange) and rasgullas as shown in the pic . In this step i have removed the pith part of orange and used the whole rasgulla.. you also halve the rasgulla n arrange them... Spread some whipping cream again.
- Take another layer and repeat the process of spreading whipping cream .
- Finally garnish it with whipping cream and grated chocolate and melons. I glazed my cake with chocolate glaze in the center , cut the melon into circles using a cookie cutter and added some detailing using grated chocolate and star sprinklers...
- Black Forest cake is ready!