It was my turn to make snack for the children's at my daughters school for over 10 kids and her mam already told me to bring cookie's .. As we are pure veggies i had to bake egg less sugar cookies ... I made these sugar cookies with whole wheat flour to increase the nutritive value as it was for kids.. Making these cookie's are really easy and the best part is you don't have to refrigerate the cookie dough before making cookies.. You can mix up all the ingredients , roll them , shape them and bake them in one go..
I made these cookies before for my daughter's school snack which was pumpkin shaped as the class theme was "Pumpkin cookies" :)..
Now the theme was " good night moon" so i made star shaped cookie's... Lets see the ingredients and method for this scrumptious cookie's
(Adapted from my diverse kitchen)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
200 gm butter, softened at room temperature
3 to 5 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp teaspoon salt
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl, with a hand mixer, till smooth and fluffy.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl , sift together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Add this to the wet ingredients in batches, and mix well by hand till combined.
- If the dough isn't quite coming together, add a tsp or so of milk and knead.
- Do not be tempted to add too much milk or knead more than necessary to bring the dough into a ball which can be rolled out, as your cookies will become tough.
- Roll the dough out uniformly till just about 1/4" thick. Cut out cookies and place them on the cookie sheets.
- You can place them quite close to each other as the cookies will not spread out or puff up much.
- Bake them at 180C (350F) for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your cookies.
- When done the cookies must still be pale and just beginning to turn golden at the edges.
- Let them cool on the tray for about 5 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack.
Store these cookies in an airtight container .. I decorated my cookies with some frosting and sprinklers ... You can even decorate these cookies with royal icing ..Before frosting these cookies they have to cool completely..