Ginger Cookies are aptly named, as they are both ginger colored and ginger flavored. When you bite into one you will find the texture soft and chewy with a flavor that is crispy and spicy. The combination of jaggery with ground ginger makes eating one just about impossible. These cookies are perfect for winter .. enjoy these cookies with a hot coffee or tea... Merry christmas to all !!!
150 ml olive oil
150 gms jaggery
4 tbsp hot boiling water
6 tbsp hot milk
300 gms all purpose flour ( 150g maida + 150g whole wheat flour)
2 tbsp cornflour
2 t/s baking powder
1 inch fresh ginger juice
3 tbsp ground ginger powder
1 t/s salt
4 tbsp cranberry juice / 2 tbsp yogurt
- Preheat oven at 160°C ten mins before baking. Grease the tray Or pan with oil.
- Firstly grate ginger and squeeze the pulp. Extract the juice and keep aside.
- Sift all dry ingredients (flour, cornflour, ground ginger, salt and baking powder).
- Take a microwave safe bowl and combine milk, olive oil, water and grated jaggery. Microwave for 2 mins on high power. Mix all well until all blend well.
- Make a small well into dry ingredients. Slowly add warm jaggery mixture. Also add cranberry juice. Mix all nicely kneading into a dough. Finally add ginger juice. If the dough is too sticky add little water and oil.
- Keep this dough into freezer for 15 mins. Remove the dough from the fridge. Form the dough into balls.
- Flatten these balls with your hand. You can even create various patterns on the cookies eg . you can prick the cookies with fork or make some lines using fork . Roll them and cut them using a cookie cutter.
- Place these balls into greased pan. Bake at 160°C for 10-12 mins. Kindly don't over bake them. When you remove the cookies. Initially it would be soft but later it will firm up once cools down. Keep them in airtight container.
- Your Ginger Cookies is ready..
- You can even frost these cookies using some royal icing or cake frosting.. I frosted the cookies using cake frosting .