I Like to use the leftovers so tried this yummy chutney with ridge guard peel ...
1 tbsp other refined oil
1/2 cup finely chopped ridge gourd (turai) peels
NOTE: Just take a peeler and peel thin peel as they will become crispier when sauteed. Keep peeling till you see the white portion,the green has to be used.
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp chana dal (split Bengal gram)
2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 whole red chilli, broken into pieces
1 sprig chopped coriander
1 1/2 tbsp tamarind
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
salt to taste
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a kadhai, add the ridge gourd peels and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously. Remove and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in the same kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves,chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Pour the tempering over the sautéed ridge gourd peels and mix well.
- Add the coriander, tamarind, coconut, salt and 1/3 cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. if you want temper the chutney with some mustard seeds, urad dhal and whole chilli 's again on top ..Store in an air-tight container and use as required.