This was the first recipe I tried from Rak's kitchen and it was a great hit !!! Loved the way she has explained each and every dish !!!I liked the way the pureed palak used in this dal and Really a GRT grand style dal palak yummy..
Recipe source : Raks kitchen
Moon dal/ paasi paruppu (or u can even use masoor dal) 1/4 cup
Palak leaves 1 cup tightly packed
Tomato 1 large
Ginger garlic paste 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder 3/4 tsp
Green chilli 5-6
Sugar 1/4 tsp
Salt 1 & 1/4 tsp
Ghee 1 tsp
Jeera 1 tsp
- Wash the palak and remove the stem. Tear the leaf and take out the thick stem in the middle too if possible to make sure it gets cooked easily. Fry in 1/2 tsp oil along with green chillies. Pressure cook moong dal upto 3 whisltes.
- Fry the palak until it gets reduced in volume. Cool down and grind with little water.
- Heat kadai and temper with ghee and jeera. Add finely chopped onions and fry till transparent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell goes away. Add chopped tomatoes, salt and fry until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the ground palak, sugar and garam masala. Fry for 2 minutes in medium flame. Add cooked, mashed dal.
- Mix well, add 1 cup water and let it boil for 4-5 minutes or until you get thick consistency.
- Top with ghee if desired and serve hot with steamed basmati rice and your choice of subzi. You can have it with roti as well.
- You can also squeeze lemon before you serve the dal. In that case, be sure to add more spiciness (green chilli) to balance the
- You can replace ginger garlic paste in this recipe with either finely chopped ginger or garlic. In that case, add it immediately after jeera crackles.
- You can also add red chilli powder instead of green chillies. But the colour will be differing.