In India, every state and every city has it's own favorite street side food. Moong dal bhaji or Dal Vada' is a favorite street side food in Gujarat but we rajasthani make these vadas and gulgula( sweet wheat flour appum) for makar sakaranti/pongal. It is a traditional standard recipe made at every mawari home . As a street food its being served along with lightly fried, salted green chilies and salted onion pieces. The taste of hot crisp dal vadas with the chillies and the onions is seriously addictive. You can't just have one and stop.
So lets look for the ingredients and method for this simple street food and This pongal/ makar sakranti special at home :) ..
1 cup Moong Dal (yellow spilt moong dal/ split green gram dal without husk )
1 tbsp Chopped Coriander
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1-2 Green Chillies chopped
1 tsp Ginger chopped
2 tbsp chopped Onions
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
- Soak the moong dal in water for a 2 hours.
- Grind it coarsely to form a paste if needed sprinkle some water while grinding.
- Combine it with chopped onions, chillies, corainder, ginger and cumin seed.
- Check the salt seasoning and divide the batter to equal part you can either make them in masal vada shape or make pakoda shapes.
- Slide them in hot oil and deep fry till golden in color.
- Serve this crispy vadas with green chutney or tomato ketchup.