Channa dal/kadalai paruppu/Bengal gram dhal- 1 cup
Green chillies-3 nos
Fennel seeds/ sombu-1 tsp
Salt as needed
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Mint leaves - 4- 5 ( chopped) - Optional
Ginger 1 inch piece
- Soak channa dal for 3-4 hours.
- After 3-4 hours drain channa dal completely and add it in two batches and grind coarsely. Not too smooth not very coarse too. One or two channa dal can be whole.
- Mix finely chopped onion,chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, salt and curry leaves.
- Keep a bowl with water and wet both hands. Make equal sized balls first for uniform sized vadas.
- Heat oil in kadai meanwhile. Shape each ball to flat patties of medium thickness.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden in color, flipping once in between. Always cook in medium flame to ensure even cooking and golden color. When you drop oil, heat should be high. Simmer after you drop all vada's and cook in medium flame until done. Drain in paper towel.
- Serve hot with tea/coffee and with spicy mint or coconut chutney as side dish for vada …
- Or you can serve even with Tomatillo cilantro chutney Click here
- If we don't soak for enough time, vada may turn hard and too crisp.
- Add some coriander and mint leaves for more flavor.
- You can add Rice flour or sooji is to make it more crisper..
- You can even add a 3/4 tsp of garam masala and some crushed garlic.
- You can also add asafoetida 1/4 tsp.
- No need to add water while grinding.
- Red chillies can be replaced instead of green chillies.
- You can make Vadakari using leftover masala vada.
- Add some chopped palak to this vada and make keera vada / palak vada
- Crush these masala vadas in White peas/ vatana gravy sundal top it with onion, coriander leaves and enjoy!!