Borscht is a hearty soup that also looks extremely delicious and yumm. Its origin is from russia, it is known as red borscht because the beetroot used adds a deep red hue to the soup. You could add in all the vegetables you want, and simmer it until it is thick and gives out a wonderful aroma of cooked vegetables, onions, tomatoes and pepper. Borscht tastes absolutely delicious with toasted whole wheat or multi-grain bread. Perfect for valentines day bcoz of the red color ...
3/4 cup peeled and grated beetroot
2 tsp oil
5 tbsp thinly sliced onions
1/2 cup chopped carrot
3/4 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup thinly sliced tomatoes
salt and freshly ground black peppercorns (kalimirch) to taste
For The Garnish
Finely chopped parsley or coriander
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the beetroot, carrots, cabbage and tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 3½ cups of hot water and salt, mix well and cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or till the vegetables are soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the pepper powder and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with parsley or coriander .