Made some dilli leave pakodas/ fritters for tea time snack which is very good for fussy kids and adult who do not include green leafy veggies in their diets . Dill is one of those herbs that in effect have two different seasons. In early spring it is used for its leaves and then later in fall for its seeds. Each part of the plant has its own characteristics and properties. Dill leaves are very rich in minerals, vitamin C and flavonoids,Protection Against Free Radicals and Carcinogens,An Anti-Bacterial Spice, A Flavorful Way to Help Prevent Bone Loss. Lets quickly look at the ingredients to prepare this healthy pakodas recipe
2 cup oil (for frying)
1/2 bunch of dill leaves (sepu )
1 cup Bengal gram flour (besan)
1 chopped green chilli
1 tsp red chili powder
1 t/s turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tbsp cumin pd
salt as per taste
water to make batter
- Chop the dill leaves finely and keep aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl except oil and warm water. Now add the chopped dill leaves and give a nice mix.
- Add little warm water and mix with your finger Or fork. The consistency should be thick enough. If it’s too dry add little water if too thin add more gram flour to it.
- Take a deep frying pan add oil. Place on high heat once oil is hot reduce the heat. Take a spoon and scoop out the batter one by one. Don’t cluster too many at a time. Fry few until nice crispy and golden brown on medium heat. Repeat the same with rest of batter.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce and tea.
- Ensure you fry them on medium heat else they will burn.
- The batter consistency shouldn't be too thick Or thin.
- You could make same fritters with spinach Or fenugreek leaves.
- Place them on absorbent napkins to absorb excess oil.
Dill Bread pakoda :
when my hubby was having these pakodas he asked for bread bhaji and i told him i didn't make bhaji batter that time this idea popped up in my mind.. Just made some cubes of bread and coated with the above pakoda batter and fried them till golden brown
.. and got the bite sized bread pakodas ready .. they were really yummy and tasted very good with the flavours of dill leaves..