Summer is coming near and watermelons are easily available at every store and farmer market here , So we pick one last week .We had some watermelon slice sprinkled with chaat masala and with the other 1/2 half of the watermelon i wanted to try something different other than juices so was searching for recipes in net then i remember once in a cooking show i saw the recipe of watermelon halwa . They used sooji/semolina and corn flour to make the halwa. I liked the recipe but wanted to try with some variations in that halwa . Wanted it to look like a Thirunavelli halwa or agar ka petha with glossy texture so tried this recipe .
Watermelon - 1/2 medium sized
Sugar -1 cup (heaped)
Pistachoes- 2-3 nos
Ghee - 4 tbsp
Lemon juice-2 tsp
Cornflour- 1 1/2 tsp
Saffron essence or vanilla essence or rose essence- few drops (i used rose essence)
- Deseed the watermelon and remove from the green skin. chop them in to cubes.
- In a blender blend the chopped watermelon and sugar coarsely ,only up to 2 -3 pulse or you can even mash the watermelon with you hands and mix in sugar.
- Now pressure cook this mixture without adding any water for 1 whistle this step cooks the watermelon and reduce the cooking and stirring time.
- After the pressure cooker cools down open and keep it ready.In small bowl take the corn flour and dilute it in 3 tbsp of water with out any lumps.
- Take a kadai add 1 tbsp of ghee ,to which add the nuts fry till light brown . Pour the watermelon mixture and mix them till they start boiling.
- After it starts boiling add cornflour mixture and mix them.Keep on stirring them constantly as it may catch the bottom of the pan and burn , mix in the remaining ghee in regular intervals to the halwa while cooking them. After some time of continuous stirring, the the mixture keep on getting thicker.
- At this stage add lemon juice and stir continuously till they leave the sides of the kadai but should be semi solid or should form to a ball consistency and you can see ghee separating from the halwa , at this stage your halwa is ready.
- After it attains the required consistency turn off the heat and add the desired essence you like and give them a quick mix. Now you can serve them warm .
- They taste gud when they are served warm as the ghee in this may solidify if they are chilled. If you want you can heat them again in a low flame till they are warm but do not over cook them .
Here i have added lemon to avoid crystallization of sugar as they are cooked for a long time on the stove.