So happy to see so many entries for my event thanks to all participants :) This is another healthy recipe shared by +Aishwarya Srinivasan . Lets quickly see what aishwaraya has got to share with us today :)
This brown rice dosa batter is so versatile that it is good for making thick spongy dosas or paper like thin dosas. I have never gone back to white rice after preparing this dosa. Why would I, when it tastes even better than the usual dosa and is healthier too!
Idli rice has above 80 % of carbohydrates. Brown rice has less than 50% of carbohydrates with other minerals. Best Low carbohydrate diet.
Brown Rice (I Used Long Grain) - 2 Cups
Urad Dal - 1/2 Cup
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Sesame Oil - 1/2 tbsp
Method of Preparation
- Soak together the brown rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds (if using) in water overnight or at least 5-6 hours.
- The next day morning, grind together all the soaked ingredients until you get a smooth batter. Add water as required. This takes quite sometime than grinding for the usual dosas using white rice. Thats why a longer soak time is also suggested for easier grinding.
- Transfer the batter to a big bowl which has enough space for the batter to rise. place it on a plate to let it ferment. Ferment the dosa batter in a warm place overnight or for at least 12-15 hours before you can prepare the dosas.
- Add Salt and mix it.
- Heat a dosa tawa and pour a ladle full of batter and spread it out.
- Drizzle some oil around or use a non stick cooking spray and flip to the other side to cook it thoroughly.
If you prefer oil free dosas, once you pour the batter on the tawa cover it with a frying pan lid and wait until you see sponge like holes on the dosa and then flip it the other side. These dosas are thick and spongy without any oil.
You can also make stuffed dosas like Masala Dosa.
I haven't tried dosa using brown rice this is really a new recipe for me :) Thanks aishwarya for sharing this yummy and healthy recipe . What do you think friends? do comment and encourage " Come on - Lets cook Buddies " participants dearies :)