Am here with another healthy dal variety from Homely Food . This is a healthy version of dal which is had with steamed rice. Its is really easy to make and comforting food. As my H likes palak i make this dal often and its our favourite . Dal palak is an healthy combo of spinach and lentils which make this recipe a very healthy side for rice or roti. Lets move on to the recipe quickly :)
4 cups/ 1 bunch tightly packed Spinach
1 cup Pigeon Peas (Tuvar/Toor dal)
1 tsp Red chilli pd
1/4 tsp Turmeric pd
1/2 tsp Cumin pd
1 tsp Coriander pd
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1-2 tsp Sambar Powder,or as per taste- optional
1 no medium sized- onion
Tamarind - 1 small lemon size (soak it warm water and remove the extract)
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
2 tsp Urad dal, split and skinned (black gram lentil)
1-2 Dried Red Chilli
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
A pinch of Asafoetida Powder
Salt to taste
Oil / ghee- 2 tbsp
- While you can cook your lentils on stove top, But pressure cooker makes things easier and faster so i use pressure cooker. Add 2-1/2 cups water to the pigeon peas along with turmeric and cook for 8-10 minutes (3-4 whistles).
- While that's cooking, chop off the ends/roots from the fresh spinach .
- Fill your basin with water and drop the leaves until they are fully submerged in water and clean them.
- Now chop the leaves, In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and saute onion till transparent, add ginger garlic paste saute for a while and then add the spinach and saute slightly. Add all the dry masala's redchilli pd , turmeric pd, cumin pd, coriander pd and sambhar pd. Mix them well.
- Remove the cooked pigeon peas from the pressure cooker.
- Mash it lightly with the a spatula/spoon.
- Add it to the spinach mixture and also add the tamarind extract .Mix until combined.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee/oil in a pan. Add the red chillies, cumin seeds, urad dhal , mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, pour the tempering over the cooked dal. Add the chopped coriander, mix well and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
- You can use lemon juice instead of tamarind extract.
- You can even make this dal palak with moong dal that even tastes more delicious.
Thank you for the delicious recipe meenu anuty :)
Sending to Homely Food
Sending to virundhu unna vaanga