Cookies are all time favorite tea time or any time snack .Nankhatai's are Indian short bread cookies which is really easy to make and tastes delicious . They are simpler to the Pecan Sandies which is popular in U.S . Traditionally Nankhatai's are made with ghee and they is an addition of gram flour and sooji in it. But today we are going to see a easy version of Nankhatai. Nankhatai are usually dome shaped , half sphere or dome shape, although they can be made in flat avatars, too. They are more powdery . So lets quickly look for this easy and quick Indian Cookies recipe. Thank you for this delicious recipe +Meena B anuty :) Click here to see Meenu anuty's Nankhatai . My mom also has shared information with me about these cookie :)
All Purpose Flour /Maida – 1 cup
Unsalted Butter – 1 stick (1/2 cup, 4 oz) at room temperature
Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C.
- In a mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar with the softened butter until mixture is light and creamy.
- Add Nutmeg Powder and Cardamom Powder and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift All Purpose Flour with Baking Powder and Salt .
- Combine Flour mixture (in batches) in Butter Mixture to form a soft dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Knead dough once again and divide into equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a smooth ball with no cracks and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased foil. Leave ample space between dough balls. If you want add the chopped pistachio piece and press very lightly so that they stick to the dough. Be sure not to flaten the balls as we are making them dome shaped
- Bake for 20-25 minutes . Do check them occasionally as have to remain white .
- Remove from oven and let the nan khatai cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature.
- You can also make these cookies in traditional way by making them with 1/2 cup ghee instead of butter .
- You can add 1/4 tsp of gram flour and 1/4 tsp of fine semolina to make them more crisper .
- Make sure to keep these cookie's white and not brown them.
- If you want to make them flat then roll them and press them a little . While baking they will spread and become flat.
This was the first flat nankhatai i baked when i was a non- blogger :)