Here is another delicious recipe from +Aishwarya Srinivasan for my event "Come on - Lets Cook Buddies" .. Lets Move on to the tip and the recipe she has got for us today..
While coconut products such as creams and milks have health benefits, the fat content is usually high so opt for tomato bases rather than creamy curries or use low-fat yogurt as a substitute.
Aviyal is mainly prepare in Kerala as well as Tamilnadu. Adai Aviyal is the famous recipe in Udupi Cusines. It is must for Onum festival. It is a thick mixture of vegetables, curd and coconut seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. Vegetables commonly used in Traditional aviyal are plantain, pumpkin, carrots, beans, brinjal, cucumber, chow chow, drum sticks, snake gourd and avarai. Carrots, beans etc. are recent introduction, while the Keralan Avial includes bitter gourd also. Some people prefer to skip curd or substitute it with raw mango or tamarind pulp. This dish can be made into a semi-solid side dish.
Today I made Aviyal with the available vegetables in my place.
Carrot - 1 medium size
Beans - 6
Peas - 1/4 cup
Brinjal - 3 small size
Drum sticks - 5
Pumpkin - 1/2 cup
Potato - 1 large
Boiled Plantain - 1/2
Water - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste.
Oil - 1/4 tsp
Cilantro for garnishing.
Sour curd - 1/2 cup
Shredded Coconut - 1/4 cup
Chilli - 3
Cumin Seed - 1/4 tsp
Coconut oil - 1/4 tsp
Mustard seed - 1/8 tsp
Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 string
- Grind coconut, chilli and cumin into a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Add oil in a pan, add mustard seed , urad dal and curry leaves, fry till urad dal turn slightly brown and keep it aside.
- Chop all the vegetables into equal size. Add, oil in a pan. Add carrot, beans, potato and drum sticks, fry them for few minutes.
- Then add Brinjal, peas and pumpkin and Cook them by adding water and salt.
- Once it is cooked, add plantain, grinded paste and seasoning to that and mix well. Switch off the flame. Add cilantro.
- Once it is completely cooled add sour curd to that.
- Serve with Adai or Cooked Rice.
We need to boil for few minutes, after adding the coconut mixture. Boiling coconut will produce bad cholesterol to your body. That's why I skipped that step.