SNC Challenge -7
Hi my dear SNC group !!!Am so happy to complete the 7th challenge ...As you all know there is an event going on +Divya Pramil space You Too Can Cook .. The event is all about two teams north and south team ..A member from north team and a member south team respectively will challenge the opposite team members with a recipe from their respective zone and opposite teams have to post the same recipe on their Blog .. this takes place every month .. The idea of this event is that we learn so many different recipes from different zones .. Hats off to divya for this great idea .. click here to partcipate
An update on whats going on till now in SNC challenge:
Challenge 1- October month's challenge
North team Host shruti dhingra from " shruti's rasoi"- Bhel puri
South team Host divya from "Divya's culinary journey "- Mysore pak
Challenge 2- November month's challenge
North team host Pallavi from "cook -eat- burrp" - Gulab jamun
South team host Yashodha from "yashodha's kitchen" - Adhirasam
Challenge 3- December month's challenge
North team Host Meena from " Random rambling " - Misal pav
South team Host Sherin from " Kuk's kitchen" - Medu vada
Challenge 4- Janurary month's challenge
North team Host " me " (Manjula bharath) from "Desi fiesta" - Rajasthani mini ghevar topped with kesar rabdi
South team Host Ramya from " Lemon Kurry" - Vada curry
Challenge 5 - February month's challenge
North team's host Sanoli from Sanoli's recipes- Green pea kachori with dum aloo
South teams's host Tamil from Tamil's kitchen- paal kozhukattai
Challenge 6 - March month's challenge
North team's host Kirti Choudhary Kardam from Flavour's from my kitchen- Chana Dal Halwa/Barfi
South team's host Sawsthi from Indian healthy recipes - Vegetable Hyderbadi Biryani click here
Challenge 7 - April Month's challenge
North team's host Hetal from Gjurati zaika- Khandvi click here
South team's host Shama from Easy2cookrecipes - Palm jaggery aapam click here
Challenge 8 - May Month's challenge
North team's host Nabanita das from Esho-besho aahare - Dokar dalna .
South team's host Roha from Hyderbadi cuisine - Kurbani ka meetha.
Challange 9- June Month's
North team's host Chandrani Banerjee from cuisine delights - Channar jelebi Click here
South team's host Priya suresh from Priya's verstile recipes :) Click here
This months SNC challange for North team is delicious"Chettinadu Pakoda Kozhambu" Which i loved to make :). Thanks to +Priya Suresh aks for this delicious kozhambu recipe i loved this a lot :)..
The Chettinadu cuisine is one of South India's best known cuisines of Tamil Nadu . Apart from standard and traditional food items, Chettinad cuisine is renowned for its unusual snacks and munchy items that are lip-smacking good. Some of the popular Chettinad dishes are Kandarappam, Ukkarai, Pal Paniyaram, Thenkuzhal, Karupatti Paniyaram - Remember we made this for our April months challange , Kavanarisi, and Seepu Seedai, Chettinadu kozhambu varities. We are going to see one such delicious kozhambu from this cuisine :)..
Lets Move on to the recipe..
(Recipe Source : Priya's verstile recipes)
1/2 cup - Channadal/Kadala paruppu
3 nos - Dry red chillies
1tsp - Fennel seeds
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
2nos - Onions (chopped finely)
2nos - Tomatoes (chopped finely)
6nos - Garlic pods (chopped)
2nos - Green chillies (slit opened
1tbsp - Coriander powder
1tsp- Red chilly powder
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves (chopped)
1inch - Cinnamon stick
2nos - Green cardamoms
2nos - Bay leaves
1tsp - Fennel seeds
Few curry leaves
1tsp - Poppy seeds
4tbsp - Grated coconut
6nos - Cashew nuts
1tbsp - Roasted channadal/Dalia/Pottukadalai
Note : Grind all the ingredients given under the list 'to grind' as fine paste with enough water.
- Soak the channa dal for two - three hours.
- Take the soaked dals,dry red chillies,fennel seeds,salt together and grind as bit coarse paste with bit water.
- Heat oil for frying, once the oil is hot.
- Take a golf sized ball of grounded mixture and pinch gently a small quantity of this mixture as shapeless pakodas and drop into the hot oil and fry.
- Fry the pakodas until they turns golden brown.
- Drain the excess of oil with a paper towel and keep aside.
For Gravy :
- Heat enough oil in a kadai, add the spices given under 'for seasoning' and fry until they turns brown.
- Add the chopped onions, chopped tomatoes,chopped garlic,slit opened green chillies and saute until the veggies gets well cooked.
- Now add the grounded paste to the cooking veggies,cook in simmer for 2 minutes in simmer.
- Add 5cups of water, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt, give a stir and cook in medium flame.
- Close the kadai, cook for 5 more minutes, keep the gravy watery.
To serve :
Add the water if needed, once you add pakodas, they tends to absorb the gravy and finally no gravy will be left once the pakodas gets well cooked in gravy.So keep the gravy enough watery.
- Once the oil gets separated slightly from the gravy, add the pakodas immediately to the gravy.
- Don't stir the gravy after adding the pakodas, bring boil the gravy once and switch off the stove.
- Finally add the chopped coriander leaves to the gravy, give a stir.
- Serve hot with rice and papads.