If you don't want to spend much time in kitchen and enjoy your weekends , spend all the time with your family this is an delicious lunch time Rice variety which can be made in minutes and healthy too. This is an delicious combo of tomato , potato and channa , A very healthy combo even which i made for +Vardhini Koushik (Author of cooks joy ) from her Blog click here for her virtual b'day treat :) . Thanks to vardhini for sharing this delicious and quick rice variety which my h loved a lot :). This was an yummy and so healthy combo which we would make again and again. Lets Move on to the recipe ..
1 cup cooked channa (garbanzo / chickpeas)
11/2 cups basmati rice
3 cups water (For cooking rice)
1 tbsp oil
1 bay leaf
1-2 nos Cloves
1/2 inch piece Cinnamon
2-3 pods Cardamom
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 medium onion chopped
3 green chillies (adjust to your taste)
2 small potatoes (boiled & cut in to cubes )
1/2 tsp Coriander pd
1/2 tsp chilly powder/sambar powder( i used sambhar pd u can use both if you like spicy )
1/2 tsp Cumin pd
Pinch of turmeric
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and soak for 30 minutes. I made the rice in rice cooker so added salt,cloves, bay leaf ,cardamom and cinnamon in the rice while cooking (for 11/2 cup rice add 3 cups of water in rice cooker ).
- Heat oil in wok add the onions ,ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook them till they turn mushy.
- Add salt, turmeric , sambhar pd, cumin pd and chilly powder , coriander pd and saute till the sides leave out some oil.
- Add the Boiled potatoes and channa (garbanzo beans) give them a nice mix till the masala's coat them well. Then add the cooked rice and stir them well in low flame.
- Tomato potato channa Rice is done. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Very healthy quick rice is ready to serve with raita . I served this with Maa inji pachadi.
- You can Cook and freeze garbanzo beans so that it can be handy when you nead them. but if you make fresh thats even more better.
- Fresh ginger and garlic can also be added instead of ginger garlic paste.