I had tried this Biryani for the first time but have heard about this delicious biryani from a family friend and they used to make this awadhi spl biryani . This is an delicious and flavorful veg biryani without using vegetable but using a fruit as the main ingredient. As lucknow was invaded by the Mughals the Cuisine there is influenced by Mughal cuisine and this Biryani is On such among them . My H just loved this biryani a lot and we enjoyed this delicious Biryani with another fruity raita - Pomegranate Raita they merry well and gud combo.
Some days Back I received a comment from ingredientmatcher.com as they where launching a new ebook so they announced a competition to cook a dish which represents our country . The winner will be receiving a mini i pad and our recipe being included in Ingredients Matcher app. So I was really excited to make a dish which represents Indian and so chose Indian veg Biryani as my dish. Instead of usual veg Biryani I made this fruit veggie biryani . Now keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for the results . Lets Move on to the recipe ..
Kathal ( Raw jackfruit ),( cut them in to pieces after removing the skin part and deep fry) 1 halve small
Basmati rice soaked for 15 minutes 1 1/2 cups
Bay leave- 2 No
Cardamoms - 3-4 No
Cloves - 2 No
A few strands of saffron
Milk - 2 tbsp
Onion - 1 No medium size (chopped)
Tomatoes - 1 No medium size ( chopped)
Red chilli powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Sambhar pd - 1/2 tsp
Cumin pd - 1/2 tsp
Coriander pd - 1/2 tsp
Green chillies slit -3-4 No
Garam masala powder - to sprinkle
Mint leaves (Chopped) - 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves (Chopped) - 1/2 cup
Yogurt -1 1/2 cup
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Red chilli pd - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Cumin pd - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste ( a small amt)
- To peel and cut the jackfruit first apply oil to you hands , cutting board and Knife . Start peeling the skin first and the cut them in to half . Remove the center part , now cut the remaining to chunks. If you have very big seeds like i had you can remove the seeds even .
- In pan heat Oil deep fry these cut jackfruit till nice and golden brown.
- I cooked the rice in rice cooker adding 2 cups of water but you cook it a vessel with ample amount of water till the rice is half done.
- In a bowl Put fried jackfruit, yogurt, red chilli pd, turmeric pd, ginger garlic paste, cumin pd, salt (small amt ) marinate them and keep them aside for 15 mins ( Use the quantity given under To marinate).
- Heat another pan heat oil add bay leaves, clove , cardamom , chopped onion and saute till they turn translucent. After which add Tomatoes and cook them till mushy.
- Now start adding the red chilli pd , turmeric pd, cumin pd, coriander pd, sambhar pd, salt and saute for a while.
- Now switch of the flame and mix the marinated jackfruit and yogurt mixture and mix well till combine. Keep the gravy a side.
- Warm the milk and add saffron strands to it keep a side for 5 mins.
To assemble for Dum
- Now take large steel Bowl or a vessel First add a layer of rice , on which spread a little amt of jackfruit curry , then again a layer of rice on which add some saffron milk all over.
- Now top them with rice again then curry and then rice do it till all the rice and curry are used.
- For top layer add the rice and top them with mint leaves , coriander leaves and sprinkle garam masala.
- Take a pan in which the rice vessel can fit. Add water to the pan and keep the rice vessel Covered on top of the pan.
- Now in a medium flame let the rice cook nicely and enhance all the flavors for about 15- 20 mins . If the water in the pan evaporates you can add some more .
- After 15 - 20 min your delicious biryani is ready to serve with any raita. I serve with pomegranate raita.