So here comes the third day of this energetic group of Blogging Marathon as you all know we are having a long marathon this month doing recipes in alphabetical order A-Z in 4 four themes given by srivalli . Am stunned seeing all our BM groups recipes .. They are very unique and some i haven't ever heard about . All the members of BM are rocking !! :). So for the 3rd day Letter C , after lots of research i made this simple yet delicious dish from somali even we all make them . C - Cadriyad is the recipe i selected under international recipes as theme . This is very very simple and my daughter likes this vermicelli a lot . You can make them in a blink of an eye.
Cadriyad (Adriyad) is a traditional Somali dish prepared with vermicelli which is sweetened with sugar . It is more popular in the northern parts of Somalia where it is served as both dessert or as rice toppers . This is nothing but a sweeten vermicelli as we make them often in India . The somali people serve these sweet vermicelli as an rice topper that is they make some spicy rice and top these sweet vermicelli to balance the taste. After researching so much for BM i came too know that most the International recipes are similar to Indian recipes and am glad to make them .
I used Colored Vermicelli ...
1/2 cup Vermicelli ( I used colored vermicilli)
1 cup Water (if needed u can add more)
3 tbsp Sugar (to taste)
1/4 tsp Cardamom (ground)
2 tsp Raisin's
1 tsp chopped pistachios / Almonds (optional)
2 tsp Unsalted butter /Ghee
1 tsp Oil
- Boil the vermicelli in 1 - 1 1/2 cups of water in a sauce pan.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until they are just tender. Do not make them mushy or over cooked .
- Drain the vermicelli in a sieve and rinse under cold water to get rid of the starch. This will make it less sticky.
- Heat another pan add oil and sugar to it . Give a nice stir.
- Add then immediately add vermicelli and stir to coat well.
- Now a garnish with raisins and nuts .
- Serve the warm topped with butter as an rice topper.
- You can make this with any variety vermicelli.
- You can also add any flavored spice you like for eg cinnamon pd , nutmeg pd.
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32