Am having lots of fun cooking in a alphabetical order this month . Thanks to Blogging Marathon group and sri valli for this lovely thought and theme for this month. Now coming to today's letter Which D. I thought of including an american favorites bread and bakes for my international theme . As a pure veggie we have very less Options while we stay aboard and we tend to miss lots of country favorites . We generally skip the bakes in fear that it may contain egg in it. So i wanted to try this eggless version of donuts at home .
A doughnut or donut is a type of fried dough confectionery or dessert food. The doughnut is very much popular in western countries Which are made as a sweet/ snack that can be homemade too. They are usually deep-fried from a flour dough, and typically either ring-shaped or without a hole which is often filled with some jelly or any filling. Today am here with a ring shaped doughnuts an eggless version . I have made them Mini in size but you can make them in original size too.
Flour (Maida/ all purpose) - 2 cups
Milk - 3/4 cup (Luke Warm)
Butter - 1/4 cup (at Room temperature - should be soft)
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Active dry yeast - 1 tsp
Salt - ½ teaspoon ( to taste )
Oil - for frying donuts
Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
Chocolate sauce - for dipping (optional)
- In bowl put the Maida/ All purpose flour , sugar, salt n active dry yeast, and butter.
- Mix all the ingredients well and using the help of Luke warm milk we have to a soft and smooth dough.
- Knead the dough till it is nice a smooth. If you press a finger in dough it should spring back.
- Now in a lightly floured surface roll the dough using rolling pin to about 1/2 cum thick.
- now with help any round sharp edged container lid or a glass , or a cookie cutter.Cut the dough in to roundels and with a smaller essence cap or any smaller lid of any bottle to cut the center of the dough nuts.
- Now remove the cut shapes and line them on a parchment paper .
- Brush some oil or fat on the shaped donuts so that they don't dry . Do the same for rest of the dough.
- Rest the shaped doughnut for proving for about 2 hrs till they double in size.
- Now heat oil in medium flame and then fry the donuts on by one till golden brown from both the side.
- Now a plate take pd sugar and coat the fried donuts while the are still warm by turning them both the sides .
- Doughnuts can be served warm topped with chocolate sauce or as is .
- While frying the oil should not be very hot .. It might burn the doughnuts.
- You can also coat the doughnuts with white or dark chocolate glaze.
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32