I have been in this new venture to try all the cuisines world wide and enjoy with family. So today's recipes is an delicious bake from goa which is most popular . Am so happy that am a part of Blogging Marathon which made me to research and try some cuisines which haven't tried before :) Thanks to srivalli for this unique thought and all the member in the group are rocking this month with their A- Z themed recipe.
Now Coming to today's letter which is G . G for Goan Bread (Poee) which is a famous bread from Goa .This is a leavened bread which used yeast as a raising agent. It is butterfly-shaped and very soft and spongy with in and crusty topper part . They are eaten with many savory and spicy curry . We loved this delicious crusty from out and soft from in bread a lot that we enjoyed them warm with some butter spread on them.
Recipe adapted from : Pepper Mill
Wheat flour 3/4 cup
Maida/ All purpose Flour 1 cup
Yeast -1 tsp
Salt -1/4 tsp
Water - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Sesame seeds - For garnishing
- Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water and then sprinkle yeast over the mixture,mix well and set aside for 10 -15 mins till it is foamy.
- Combine the flour and salt in a big bowl, add the yeast mixture and milk to this and mix well. Knead the dough till it is soft, adding a splash of water if it is too dry. Keep some flour handy and add a little at a time if it seems too wet. Knead well for about 5 minutes and then roll into a large ball, cover with oiled cling wrap or a damp cloth and keep aside in a warm place for about 1 and half hours till it doubles in size.
- Knead the dough again and divide into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a round and flatten a bit, then make a vertical slash over the top in the center with a sharp knife.
- With your fingers at the vertical slash / cut , pull the dough apart gently from the center to the sides. The ball will now look like an open book.
- Repeat with all the portions and place on a greased baking sheet and set aside in a warm place again till it rises – about half an hour to 45 minutes. Each portion will now look like a butterfly.
- Sprinkle a little sesame seeds on top of each and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 - 215 for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as breakfast bread or as an accompaniment with a spicy curry dish for a meal or enjoy them with some butter spread on them.
Here is the video slide show Tutorial to make Goan Poee
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32
Sending To Cutchi kitchen