Here i am with the next letter from alphabets for our Blogging Marathon this month. So the is H, H for Handvo under baking theme. I wanted to bake some indian savouries so opted for this delicious and healthy recipe from gujurat. This so filling and a nice option for a one pot baked meal which is easy to make just requires some soaking and grinding and then you can mix in all the ingredients and bake them .
Handvo is a traditional gujarati delicacy which a popular tea time or any time snack and super healthy one.Mixed dal handvo is a traditional gujarati savoury cake, which is a nutritious meal or snack served generally with green chutney . You may add any veggie to this handvo and traditionally bottle gourd, carrot , cabbage are added it in it but i have added only carrots to it still it tasted yum and we enjoyed this for our tea time snack. Lets move on to another gujarati famous recipe .
Rice -1/2 cup
Urad dhal / Black gram dal -1/4 cup
Yellow split dal/ moong dal - 1/4 cup
Channa dal/ Bengal gram dhal -1/4 cup
Carrot- 1/2 cup (grated)
Yogurt- 1/2 cup
Eno fruit salt / baking soda - 3/4 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2-3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Sugar -1 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli pd - 1/2 tsp
Green chilli (chopped)- 2-3
Ginger paste -1 tsp or 1 inch ginger chopped
Lemon juice 2 tbsp
Curry leaves -1 sprig
Til/sesame seeds- 2 tsp
Oil -4 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
- Wash all the dals and rice separately and soak them for 4-5 hours
- Then drain the water from rice and dals.
- First we have to grind all the lentils and rice in a blender one by one starting from rice , moong dal, channa dal and urad dal.
- Grind them little coarsely.
- Now Mix all the ground paste in a bowl.
- Add grated carrots to the batter and mix well.
- Then add red chilly pd, turmeric pd, ginger, green chilly,sugar, salt,lemon juice, yogurt, coriander leaves.
- Mix them well till nicely combined.
- Now Preheat the oven at 200F.
- In a pan heat oil add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and sesame seeds after they splutter and curry leaves , asafoetida.
- Turn off the flame and set the tempering aside.
- Now grease a baking pan well use a round or a square cake pan.
- Now at the end add Eno fruit salt in to the batter and mix don't over mix .
- Now spread this batter in the cake pan.
- Add the tempering on top spread them all over the pan.
- Bake handvo for 15 - 20 mins at 200 F till when a knife inserted should come out clean.
- They will turn golden brown from top.
- Cool them completely and remove from the pan or cut them and serve them warm with any chutney or sauce .
- You can add grated cabbage, bottle gourd or any veggie you like.
- Serve them for breakfast or brunch or any time.
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32 <!-- end InLinkz script ?
Sending To Cutchi kitchen