Today am sharing a famous street food of Maharashtra . This has been my all time fav If you are carving for some pav bhaji and You are out of veggies in your fridge then this the substitute and they taste much more yummier :). Am so enjoying this months BM A-Z theme and thanks to the BM group who are constantly leaving so encouraging comment and mails to me. I would like to thank +Kalyani MomChef and +Sangeetha M who personally sent me mails encouraging my work :) . Thanks to all the BM group and my dear readers who have been so supporting , All credits to you who make me try do better n better .
Now Coming to today's letter which is U i wanted to make some Ugadi spl dishes but bcoz of lack of time I chose this delicious street food which I had cooked as an back up for U . So U for Usal Pav/ Misal Pav with sprouted white peas under Regional theme . Usal is a delicious street food which is generally made with mixed legumes/ sprouted legumes which is spiced up with some spices and tomato onion base gravy. Traditionally they add goda masala but i have used pav bhaji masala instead. Usal is nothing but the legume gravy and misal means the gravy topped with farsans. So am today sharing a mouth watering usal pav :) Lets move on to the recipe..
White peas - 1 cup ( soaked over night)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Bay leaf - 1 no
Cloves - 2 Nos
Cardamom - 2 -3 pods
Oil - 2 -3 tbsp
Coriander Pd - 1 tsp
Red chilli pd - 1/2 tsp
Pav bhaji masala - 2 tbsp ( adjust according to your taste)
Turmeric Pd - 1/4 tsp
salt to taste
coriander leaves/ cilantro for garnishing
Water as needed
Onion (medium sized) - 2 Nos
Tomato (medium sized) -2 nos
Green chilli - 2-3 Nos
Toasted Pav buns
Mixtures / Farsans ( I forgot to place this while clicking so apologize for that)
- Soak white peas over night or at least for 6 hours .
- Transfer the peas in a damp muslin cloth and tie a knot . Keep this in a dark place to get the sprouts. I usually keep them in my idli cooker has a tight lid and keep them in a dark place for one day. The next day you can spot the sprouts .
- Then pressure cook the sprouted white peas with little salt for 2 whistles ( It shd not be too mushy).
- Mean while in a pan heat oil saute onion till translucent then add green chilli saute for a while.
- Now add tomatoes and cook them well .
- Transfer this to a blender and after they cool blend them into puree
- Now take another pan and heat oil in it add bay leaves , clove, cardamom , ginger galic paste and saute.
- Now add the puree mixture and cook them for a while.
- Then add red chilli pd, coriander pd, turmeric pd, pav bhaji masala, salt ( remember you have already added salt in peas too so adjust and add accordingly)
- Saute this mixture till the raw smell goes off and then add the white peas to the gravy . Add water accordingly as how thick or thin you want the usal to.
- You can increase or decrease the amt of spices used as per you families taste buds.
- Serve them Hot topped with some farsan, coriander leafs and chopped onions with some toasted pavs . Enjoy !!
- You can use Goda masala if have instead of pav bhaji masala.
- This gravy is a bit thin while you compare with vegetable pav bhaji . As it cool down the gravy thickens so the consistency depends on the individual it can be served very thick or thin as they do traditionally.
- You want you can also squeeze in some lemon for that extra tangy taste.
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32