For today's letter W we are traveling straight to Tanzania , Africa. In Tanzanian cuisine spicy foods are common and they make lots of coconut milk base curries. the cuisine is similar to Indian cuisine like chapathi, korma, kebab , samosa are even made there. I was really happy to know that most of the recipes are common in Tanzania because of the huge Indian migration there.
As there is a large Indian population living in Tanzania this recipe is said to be influenced from the Indian curries and as you know in south India we make coconut based gravy this is similar to what we make But am sharing this under International theme and this curry is a famous Tanzanian dish. Wali Na maharage simply means "Rice and Beans", in Tanzania every recipe served is flavored with spices and even the plain rice is flavored with spices. The rice is cooked with cardamom cinnamon, clove, anise and bay leaves so the flavors are highlighted . I made the popular street food which is qamdi Which was a Somalian dish from africa , serve this delicious aromatic curry and a flavorful rice with it an very filling meal is ready to go.
Lets move on to the recipe of this delicious curry !!
1 cup Red kidney beans (soaked over night and pressure cooked
2 cups coconut cream/ Coconut Milk (fresh / store bought)
1/4 tsp Turmeric pd
1 onion ( medium sized chopped)
2 tomatoes (medium sized chopped)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
2 Slit Green chillies ( adjust to your taste)
- Cook the beans in pressure cooker if using fresh (I used tinned ).
- Heat a pan add oil add onions and saute them till translucent then add green chilli and saute.
- Now add tomatoes and cook them till mushy , after which add the red beans and milk them well.
- Add coconut milk and cook them till they boil for few minutes .
- Remove from stove serve hot with flavored rice or quamdi /mahamri.
- For flavored rice just cook the rice with all the dry spices like cinnamon, clove, cardamom, bay leaves .
- This curry even goes well with our Indian breads too.
- If using Coconut cream you can add required amount of water.
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32