Thinking of what to make for my BM Theme which i chose combo platter using tikkies and patties for the 3 rd week i was having lots of things running in my mind and suddenly when I went to my kitchen to check the leftovers I found leftover upma which I made and also had a small amount of idli batter in my fridge so thought of using them and so this combo platter popped up in mind .. Why not i make a south indian idli burger and also to accompany with it idli fries . They turned out so yummy I had very less leftover green chutney too so used it too :) It feels so good when we use of all the leftovers in an interesting way isn't it. They tasted so delicious and went well together .
For idli burger I used leftover spicy upma , but if you have not added any spice to the upma then you can add before turning them to cutlets. This a delicious breakfast burger you can say which i experimented and liked them. You can even add some molaga podi to this burger the will taste the south indian way :). This is my own invention, you can tweak the recipe as you like though . Lets move to this interesting combo platter which I made for 3 rd week first day for BM . Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#33.
Idli - 4 No's ( freshly steamed )
Leftover spiced Rava Upma - 1 cup
Rice flour -1 tbsp
Bread crumbs - 1/2 cup
Tomato ketchup - as required
Green chutney ( Mint or coriander chutney) - 2 tbsp or as required
Lettuce leaves - 1 leave
Cherry tomatoes - 4 no's + for garnishing
Oil for shallow frying
Maida paste - 2 tbsp maida , chopped coriander, salt, pepper (if needed), water - Mix and make a thick paste (batter like consistency)
- Make idli in idli cooker store them in hot case.
To Make Upma cutlets
- Now In a bowl take leftover upma add rice flour in it and mix them well.
- Divide the in to equal parts
- Shape them into cutlet shape or give them any shape as you like.
- Dip the patties in maida paste and them in bred crumbs.
- In a plate take bread crumbs and coat the shaped upma in it well.
- Heat a tawa , add oil and place the upma cutlet to shallow fry in low flame till golden brown both the sides.
- Use two ladles if necessary and carefully turn the cutlets and cook the both the sides till golden brown.
- Remove them from tawa and set aside.
To assemble the Idli burger
- Place a idli spread some tomato ketchup on it then place the upma cutlets .
- Then place the chopped cherry tomato and lettuce leaves.
- Take another idli spread green chutney on the bottom side of the idli and place it on the lettuce.
- Prick a toothpick in the middle and fix an whole cherry tomato on the top for garnish.
Idli French Fries
Steamed idli - 2 Nos
Chaat masala to sprinkle
Pepper a pinch
salt to taste
Oil to fry
- Cut the idli length wise and keep them a side.
- Heat oil in a kadai once it is hot enough simmer and fry the cut idli.
- Once it is golden brown from all sides remove them from oil using a ladle.
- Place them on tissue or Kitchen towel to absorb all the excess oil.
- While it is still hot sprinkle pepper pd, salt, chaat masala and mix them well so that they are well coated .