I was so excited to try the Halloween delight being shared by our HBC host this month +nalini suresh of Nalini's kitchen . She had challenged with wonderful halloween recipes for this Months challenge when saw the challenge I wanted to make at least two out of them and so I did :) Here is the first one from her Ghostly cupcakes recipe , I made them eggless with flax seeds and they turned out super soft and spongy . You can actually convert this cupcake recipe in to cake by baking them in cake pan . Thanks to nalini for sharing such spooky recipes for halloween theme..we really enjoyed them a lot :)
Halloween in not much far and here is the perfect recipe to match the festive season, In the U.S when I first came across about this halloween festival, yes festival !! it is so celebrated like an festival ,so I thought how funny in india we run away from ghost and witches and here they wear ghost costumes and celebrate . But then I researched why exactly this festival is celebrated it is because in an year to remember the dead saints , martyrs , The eve of western christians feast or all hallows / saints . So they remember the faith departure they celebrate this day. The activities performed for halloween are Pumkin carving in to jack o lantern, costume party,and any spooky things are done and yeah Trick o treat which is one of my fav I enjoy when kids come knocking the door asking for trick or treat :) Ok now speaking about halloween there are variety of spooky dishes made for it and these cupcakes as suggested by nalini It can be made into a mummy cupcake but I made a spider one . So for my eggless cakes theme as these cupcakes can be converted to can I made these super spongy cupcake.Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#33.
Lets move to recipe ..
Recipe Source : +nalini suresh
3/4 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp espresso powder / Instant Bru pd
11/2 sticks salted butter (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp ground Flax seeds + 6 tbsp water ( soaked for 10 mins)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Yogurt
1/4 cup Milk ( extra if needed - optional)
For making spider garnish
Chocolate vermicelli sprinklers
Black Licorice Strings
Candy pearls / M n M's
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tin with holders.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso / Instant Bru powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the flaxseeds mixture and mix well. Add vanilla extract and beat until just combined.
- Mix the flour mixture in butter mixture little by little and followed by yogurt , If the batter is too very thick you can add milk to thin a bit but now too very thin . Pour the batter into cupcake holders.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- I decorated my cupcake like spider but you can make mummy garnish too.
- Frost the cake with blue or any color frosting and cover the frosted area with chocolate vermicelli sprinklers.
- Cut black licorice strings to desired length for leg and insert on sides of cupcakes.
- Use two candies / pearls for eyes.
- Decorate cupcakes as you like can be a mummy , spider or boo any way to fit the halloween theme.
- You can convert this cupcake in to cake by baking the batter in a cake pan.
Sending to just not the cakes
sending to cooking 4 all seasons