I have already tried the sathumaavu cake version shared by a non blogger for my event " Come on - lets cook buddies " but still wanted to experiment with it and so made this super moist and a soft cake . This cake is little dense as we have used healthy mix / sathumavu in it but they are so so moist and who will say No to a healthy cake . This cake can be frosted or even without frosting it tastes yummm.
Sathumaavu is a health mix powder which can be consumed by any aged people bcoz it is filled with nutrients needed for all ages.This in india are given to growing kids mainly as improves child development and body building . Sathumaavu kanji / porridge is a very very healthy way to have this ingredient . Sathumaavu is made with Ragi, Corn, Parboiled Rice, Wheat,Green gram dal, Spilt gram dal, Almond/Badam,Cashew nuts, Barley, Peanut,Sago, Horse gram -which is made into powder and used for making porridge , seeing the ingredients you can guess how healthy they are . So thats y its is called "Sathu " means Healthy and "Maavu" means Flour, an health mix pd .
Cake with sathumaavu / health mix is a delicious and a healthy tea time cake or can be a dessert . This I made for my second week of BM under eggless cakes theme .Lets move on to the recipe.
Maida - 1 cup
Sathumaavu/ Health mix - 1/2 cup
Condensed milk - 3/4 cup
Baking pd - 1 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Apple cider Vinegar - 1 tbsp
Milk - 1/2 cup ( extra if needed )
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
- Sieve maida, sathu maavu ,baking pd, baking soda in a bowl.
- Grease and flour the cake tray and preheat the oven at 350F.
- In another bowl add the we ingredients milk, condensed milk, oil, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Now slowly fold the flour mixture with the wet ingredients and for a semi liquid batter.
- Add extra milk if you feel the batter is very thick only to make it semi liquid .
- At last at the apple cider vinegar and fold it in the batter, do not over mix it.
- Immediately transfer the prepared batter in the greased cake pan.
- Bake this in preheated oven at 350 F for 15 - 20 min till a toothpick inserted in the cake come out clean.
- Once the cake is done cool it in the wire rack and turn it upside down in a plate.
- If you wish you can frost this cake with some butter cream or enjoy them as is like a tea time cake.
- Adjust the condensed milk as per the sweetness you are looking for.
- This cake tastes delicious when served warm but can last for day .
- If you don't have apple cider vinegar you can use Distilled vinegar or lemon juice instead it is just to react with Baking pd and soda so that they fluff nicely.