Paan is an essential part of the meal in southern parts of Asia which includes India, Thailand , Philippines, Vietnam where betel leaves / paan is served in every meal with various different filling in them . Paan is most popular India and it has so many health benefits another than serving as a mouth fresher. When preeti revealed this months international dessert challenge for sweet fantasy club I was so sure am going to include the paan flavor to this dish .
As you all know I have joined this new group "Sweet fantasy club" whose brain child is Preeti Garg ,a wonderful blogger author of " Simply tadka" . This is our second challenge under international Dessert was an italian panna cotta . This month preeti has chosen two wonderful indian and international sweet and dessert , thanks preeti for this wonderful challenge again. So I was so sure to infuse the paan flavor to panna cotta and when I finally did the experiment I was so happy with the out come . Each scoop of panna cotta was like having a paan and was so refreshing . My H said like each spoon tastes like am having a meetha paan :) So this was an hit at my home and I really enjoyed the compliments given by my H ;). Lets move on to the desi pannacotta infused with paan flavor.
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp agar agar pd/ 4 tbsp flaked agar agar + 4 tbsp water to soak
5-6 Medium sized beetle leaves or paan
1 tsp fennel pd
1 tbsp gulkand ( Rose preserves)
a pinch green color (optional)
1/2 cup sugar ( adjust to your taste)
Meethi supari ( mixture of sweet fennel, areca nuts ) - For garnish
- Soak agar agar pd in 4 tbsp water for 10 mins and after which microwave it for 2 mins till all they dissolve, You can dissolve the on stove top too.
- In a blender add chopped beetle leaves , fennel pd and gulkand with little water to a fine paste ( add water only few drop to grind ) .
- Heat cream and sugar in a sauce pan .
- After it boils add the agar agar mixture and mix well boil them till the agar - agar combines well
- Switch of the flame and cool them
- After it cools down add the ground paan puree to it with a pinch of green color and mix well.
- Transfer this to a glass or molds to set.
- Leave it undisturbed for 1 -2 hours either at room temperature or in fridge .
- After they are set serve them garnish with some meethi supari.
- As we use agar agar it sets very well at room temperature too you can chilli them too if you want. Compared to gelatin it sets quicker so don't allow it to cool very long before adding paan puree to it .
- You can set this panna cotta in a bowl or a glass . When you set in a bowl you will get a layer like this in the below pic . Mine got disturbed and i couldn't take the click with the whole bowl upside down .