After a long time I had a chance to take part in SYS-W series whose brain child is Viji of Virudhu unna vanga . This is time Viji had given us two ingredients for each member depending on the Number we choose and so my my two ingredients were Tomato and Rice . I love Bisibele bhath But some days are so lazy I do feel like roasting and grinding the spices so here is an delicious and simple way to make a delicious sambhar rice or I call it Tomato bisi bele Bhath as it taste some what similar to Bisi bele bhath .
Tomato is the main ingredient which gives the tanginess in this instead of tamarind extract I have used Tomato . I make this often nad pressure cooker makes our life so easy . Just Mix in and cook them In pressure cooker It is so easy to make. Lets Move on to the recipe..
Rice - 1/2 cup
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup ( I used carrot, potato, beans, Peas)
Onion chopped - 1 medium size
Red chilli pd - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Sambhar pd - 2 tbsp ( Adjust to your taste)
Tomatoes (plum tomatoes) - 3No medium size ( grind it in a blender to puree with 2 green chillies )
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Coriander pd - 1 tsp
Cumin pd - 1/2 tsp
Oil / ghee - 2 tbsp
Cinnamon stick - 1 inch long
Bay leaf - 1No
Cloves- 2 No
Coriander leaves - 3 tbsp (chopped)
Water - 6-7 cups
Ghee to top on the rice ( as required)
Salt to taste
- Wash rice and dal and drain the water. keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil add cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf , curry leaves,onion and saute them till translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste saute for a while and add the pureed tomatoes cook them for a while.
- Add the red chilli pd, sambhar pd, cumin pd, coriander pd, salt and mix them well.
- Now add the chopped veggies and saute them for a while.
- Add the washed rice and dal mix them .
- Add water and cover the pressure cooker, put on the weight.
- In low flame wait until 4-5 whistles and then switch off the flame.
- After the pressure subsides open the pressure cooker and mix the Bisibelebhath .
- Top them with ghee and serve with papad or fryums .