Biryani's are always my fav as they are packed with so much nutrients and I prefer them spicy. India is famous for is N num of varieties in biryani and am sharing a very famous biryani which I make often at home . This Biryani I first learned in my Home science and this was the recipe which saved me while board practical as this was Tasted by Chef Mr. Damodaran sir and he liked it :). I always love the coconut milk flavor in biryani and always use them instead of water. As you all might be knowing chettinadu foods mostly are prepared with ground masalas and they normally contain coconut in them .
Chettinadu Kaikari biryani is my family fav and it tastes better when you use fresh coconut milk for this recipe. Some People also make them by grinding a masala paste which normally include shallots and all the spice which I have used here as whole like cloves, bay leaves etc. This is a simple way I generally make this biryani and this taste so yummy . You can add any veggie of your choice and make them as spicy as you like .
Mixed vegetables- 1 cup ( chopped) - ( I used Beans, carrot, Potato here)
Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Onions - 1 No (Chopped)
Tomato - 1 medium sized ( chopped)
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Red chilli pd - 1 tsp
Sambhar pd - 1 tbsp
Coriander pd - 2 tsp
Cumin pd - 1 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
coriander leaves - 1/4 cup chopped
Salt to taste
coconut milk - 3 1/2 cups
Yogurt/curd - 3 tbsp
Bay leaves -2 nos
Cinnamon stick - 1 " piece
Cardamom - 2 nos
cloves - 2 nos
Oil - 2 tbsp
- In wok / kadai heat oil add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and cardamon .
- After they pop add chopped onions, ginger garlic paste and saute till onion translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute till they are cooked and mashed well .
- Now add Red chilli pd, coriander pd , sambhar pd, turmeric pd , salt ( remember to add salt including the rice) and cumin pd . Mix well.
- Add all the chopped vegetables saute them for a while until well combined.
- Add curd / yogurt and mix them well and cook for a while then turn off the flame.
- In a rice cooker put washed rice , coconut milk and vegetable mixture and cook them .
- If you are making in pressure cooker cook the for 2 -3 whistles.