I love chettinadu foods a lot and mainly the kara paniyaram which i use to enjoy in the restaurants back in chennai :) I always love to hear the sizzling sound the paniyarams make when the are poured in to the paniyaram pan . I make them most often at home and we enjoy them a tea time snack warm with tomato chutney. Panitarams are one among the array of delicious food from chettinadu cuisine and this is an super simple way i make them at home.
This is the most loved by my H and he keeps on telling me make them again n again .He gives me a lot of compliments for this one especially This recipe I experiment first for French dosa toast when my H told me that it tastes just like paniyaram I thought of making them as a paniyaram and here am with this crispy and delicious paniyaram . We usually like the over part of paniyaram little crispy and spongy inner part so i fried them to light golden brown but if you like the outer part to be soft too then you can fry them lighter .For serving you can serve them with any chutney but we love to have them dipped in sambhar like sambhar idli we like sambhar paniyaram too..so lets move on to the recipe . Check Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 35
Idli Batter - 2 cups
Onion - 1 medium size ( Chopped)
Green chilles - 2- 3 No ( chopped)
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Urad dal / black gram dal - 1 tbsp
Channa dal / bengal gram dal - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds after they splutter add curry leaves.
- Add urad dal and channa dal saute them til they turn light brown in color.
- Then add onion , green chilles and saute the till translucent.
- Switch of the flame and transfer the mixture on to the batter add required amount of salt and mix them well.
- Now add one tsp of oil in each hollow of the paniyaram pan and heat them .
- After the oil in hot simmer the flame and add a tsp or so of batter in each kuzhi / Hollow.
- Cook the paniyarams both the sides till light brown. Use a skewer to turn them.
- Enjoy hot paniyarams an a snack or breakfast with any chutney :).
Linking this to Tamizhar samayal Tuesday whose brain child is +nalini suresh .