As you all might be knowing for this weeks BM i have choosen chettinadu cuisine and will be bring chettinadu recipes for three days . The first one was Kuzhi paniyaram for breakfast or snack , and today am here with a sweet appetizer this is a very very delicious and yummy sweet vada which can be served as a appetizer or as a sweet too. This sweet vadai is a very famous chettinadu spl dish which is prepared on auspicious occasion and festivals .
This recipe I have seen many times in TV shows and also some of our blogger friends have shared it when I was blog hopping I was thinking to make it soon and today I made these yummy vada after a long postponement . This yummy sweet vada can be served hot or cold . Check Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 35 .. Lets move on to the recipe..
Urad dal / Black gram dal - 1 cup
Raw rice - 2 tbsp
Sugar / Kalkandu ( sugar candy/ Misiri) powdered - 3/4 cup or
Oil for frying
- Wash and soak urad dal and rice mixture for 30 mins.
- Drain the water completely, add sugar/ powdered Kalkandu/ sugar candy pd and blend them in a blender/ Mixture till fine Batter.
- Add water while grinding if needed only in drops .
- Transfer the batter in a bowl and heat the oil for frying the vada's.
- Wet your hands with water and take a small portion of the batter slightly press and make a hole using your thumb.
- Slide the edge of the shaped vada using your thumb till and allow it to drop in hot oil.This needs a little practice to get perfect shaped vadas.
- These vada will puff up well fry them in very low heat as they tend to darken faster becoz of sugar in it.
- Turn and fry them both sides till light brown in color.
- If using kalkandu / sugar candy just grind it in mixer to fine powder and use them.
- Instead of Raw rice you might also add channa dal or bengal gram dal.