This Post is for Indian cooking challenge , For November month Srivalli had chosen this very traditional andhra spl sweet crispy rice roll which is called as utanki . This is so simple to look but is the most trickiest one . I tried my best to get the perfect shape but was noth happy with the way they looked . Even though I was not happy about the shape it tasted just yumm and we enjoyed this snack. Thanks to Srivalli for choosing this very new and traditional recipe for this month.
Even though the process is long it is worth trying it once in a while . This snack was super crispy and so delicious sweet . The only thing is it is most trickiest to make as we will have prob in forming the strings at the first but as you try and practice you can achieve the perfect shape. For first trial I think it was worth trying but i had only 2-3 some what perfect shaped Utanki. There are so less ingredients and very easy preparation now the tricky part is only when we fry and perfect consistency of the batter matters to make it looks perfect. I had tried my best so here comes the recipe.
Rice- 2 1/2 cups
Sugar- 1 cup ( adjust according to your taste)
Oil- for deep frying
- Soak the rice overnight and drain the water using a strainer .
- Grind the rice in a blender to make a fine powder.
- Sieve the powder to remove coarser grains.
- If there are any coarse grains collect them and grind them again.
- The powder should be smooth in texture.
- Now in a bowl add sugar, milk and rice flour mix well till sugar melts.
- Keep it aside for 3 to 4 hours to ferment . I kept it over night.
- Then take that mixture into Indian grinder or a blender, again grind them it for till smooth . The batter should not be too thin or thick, it has to be medium.
- One way to check this is put your hand into the batter and take it out. Then batter should form like a string from each finger.Now transfer into a bowl.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan / wok .
- Now dip the hand in to the batter, and move the hand in anti clock wise for 3 to 4 times or till a disc.
- The batter should fall in strings if it falls like boondi don't worry continue doing it as this need a lot of practice . Rotate the hand 3 to 4 times till o form a thick layer of strings.
- Let it fry for 2 minutes till the color changes to light brown.Turn into other side till color turns to light brown (Don't let it fry more time then it will become very dark)
- Remove the rice crispy roll from oil and place on paper to remove excess oil.
- Then immediately fold that roll in a rolling pin.
- I made only half the quantity from the above recipe . If the batter is thick, the strings will fall as thick balls and you won't be swirl like how it is shown in the pictures.
- The process very quick , so be ready with your spatula, another ladle along with your rolling pin, to roll it quickly to form the spirals.
- Allow the rolls to cool then enjoy this sweet snack .