Paniyarams are my all time favorite and I just love them with spicy chutney . Vellai paniyaram is the one am trying for the first time and I love it a lot . These are famous chettinadu spl paniyaram which are white in color and are disc shape which is different from what we do in kuzhi paniyaram pan . Vellai in tamil means white and so the paniyaram remain white even after deep frying.
For my 3 rd day of Bm under combo dishes I chose an very delicious and yummy paniyaram which srivalli suggested in the list . I have heard about this paniyaram a lot and have seen in some cookery shows too. Everything depends on the consistency of the batter if the batter is not smooth and urad dal ratio is high then it may not turn good. This paniyaram's only tastes yummy when they are paired with the spicy milagai chutney else they are bland in taste. Any recipe when paired perfectly would sure be an excellent dish isn't it so this paniyaram too needs the perfect pair which is milagai chutney to make them an delicious dish. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 36. Now over to the recipe..
Raw Rice - 1 cup
Urad dal - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
- Wash and Soak rice and urad dal together for 3-4 hours.
- Grind them with a little water at a time to a very smooth batter in a mixie or grinder.
- Add sufficient water to get the dosa batter consistency. Also add salt to taste.
- Heat Oil in a kadai, when it is hot simmer the flame and drop a ladle full of batter in it.
- It will puff a bit , turn it and cook both the sides.
- No need to fry them for long as it needs to remain white.
- Using a skewer remove them from oil and transfer them on a kitchen towel.
- Repeat this with rest of the batter.
- Serve the warm with milgai chutney.
Onion - 1 No ( chopped)
Tomato - 1 no ( chopped)
Dry Red chilli - 2 no
Garlic - 1 clove
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli pd - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt to taste
- In a blender grind onion, tomato and garlic in to a coarse paste .
- In a pan heat oil add mustard seeds, cumin seeds .
- After they splutter add urad dal and saute them till light brown.
- Add curry leaves , then add the ground mixture .
- Let the boil for a while then add red chilli pd , salt and cook them till raw smell goes off.
- Serve them with paniyaram , idli or dosa .
Linking this to Tamizhar samayal Tuesday whose brain child is +nalini suresh .