Am sure all would have enjoyed pongal festival , am here today with a very healthy pongal recipe. I love ven pongal for breakfast a lot and used to enjoy them with chutney and sambhar. As many people were asking me to share some healthy recipes here is a healthy pongal recipe with out using rice. As we all know too much intake of rice lead to increase in weight , so diet conscious people generally try to avoid taking rice in their diet first . If you seriously want to loose some weight you should first stop taking lots of rice . So if not rice what can be the other substitute for it - crackled wheat , semolina, oats, Barley, ragi etc there are so many options i can keep on going.
Godhumai rava / crackled wheat is a very healthy option for diabetic patience and can be made in several diffrent delicious ways . One such way to make a tasty dish is pongal. Crackled taste yummy when included with lentils and I tried making this pongal for our breakfast. They taste so delicious and they are very healthy. If you are looking for recipes to skip rice then this is a very nice option . Kids too will enjoy this delicious pongal .For this weeks blogging marathon I have chosen pongal varities so 2 more pongal to come stay tuned..Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 36.. Now lets quickly move to the recipe..
Crackled Wheat / Godhumai rava - 1 cup
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Pepper corn - 3-4 Nos or Pepper pd - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Urad dal / black gram dal - 1 tsp
Green chilli - 2 nos
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cashew - 4-5 No ( lightly roasted in ghee)
Salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee , add Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves , urad dal.
- After they splutter, urad dal turns slight brown add ginger garlic paste and saute them .
- Now add green chillies and saute them .
- Add the crackled and saute for a while .Then add moong dal , to this add 4 1/2 cups of water
- Add the pepper corn / pepper pd, turmeric pd and salt . Mix them well and close them with lid.
- Put the whistle on and cook for 3-4 whitles.
- After 3-4 whistles switch off the flame and wait till the pressure subsides.
- Open the lid and mix them well.
- Granish them with roasted cashew and drizzle some ghee on top.
- Serve this healthy pongal with an chutney and sambhar.