From my child hood I love kadhi a got , it is one such comforting dish which i make often. They taste so delicious and yummy that i drink them like a soup most of the time. They are traditional north Indian dish to accompany rice and roti. As am a rajasthani in every feast at home mom doesn't forget to prepare is dish for the meal. If there is kadhi then the dessert or sweet dish would be obviously lapsi in rajasthani platter becoz they go well with platter. There are N number of variations in preparing kadhi and love to add legume in them as they add the extra taste to the dish.
My mom adds variety of legumes to kadhi and one such is this kala channa . I love chickpeas a lot may it be kabuli channa, black chickpea or green. They really tastes delicious and adds the protein to your meal. I had prepared this dish for my Rajasthani Festive platter which I challenged in IFC and most of them just loved it and they personally pinged me and told me how they enjoyed this comforting dish in this cold weather. Thanks to all of them who tried and left a encouraging feed back. so here the recipe for kale channe ki kadhi.
1/2 cup Kala channa ( black chickpes ) - soaked over night
1 cup Yogurt/ Curd
2 tbsp Besan / bengal gram flour
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric pd
1/2 tsp Red chilli pd ( adjust to your taste)
2 Nos Green chillies
1 tbsp Ghee
1 sprig Curry leaves
salt to taste
- Cook the kale channa in pressure cooker . I cooked for 3 whistles , they should not get mushy .
- In a bowl add curd 1 cup of water , salt turmeric, Besan and churn it well .Keep it aside.
- In a sauce pan heat ghee after they melt add mustard , cumin seeds and wait until they crackle.
- Now add the pressure cooked and drained kala channa and saute .
- Add red chilli pd, curry leaves, green chilli and mix them well.
- Now pour in the churned butter milk or curd mixture and simmer the flame .
- Let them boil till the raw smell of the besan goes of.
- Use a non stick pan so that it will avoing the curd mixture to stick to the bottom .
- Keep on stiring occasionally and Boil them well.
- Once the raw smell from besan goes of and the kadhi become a bit thick switch of the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.