Pongal / Makar sakranti is celebrated all over India but as am a Chennaite I used to enjoy those pongal holidays a lot. We used to get 4 days holidays and lots special program in TV was so much fun . Other than that our neighbors used to share all those yummy treats they made for pongal . Sugar cane is another reason why i love pongal festival ,I just love to enjoy the juicy sugar canes which i miss today. Pongal / Makar sakratri is winter harvest festival celebrated all over India by different names . As am a north indian we make sweet and savory vada's but in Tamil nadu it is celebrated for 4 days - Bhogi, Thai pongal, Mattu pongal , Kaanam pongal each day has it own significance.
People make sweet savory pongal varieties and vadas this day , served ( bhog/ padayal) to god then they enjoy the festival with family. On the last day thats is on kaanam pongal with family they have a fun time at beach or some entertaining places like to watch movie etc . So this festival bring so many happy faces to enjoy !! So I made sakkarai pongal and masala vadai for this auspicious day :) Wish you have a very happy pongal / makar sakrantri :) ..Ok now over to the recipe..
Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Rice - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1 1/2 cup
Ghee - 3- 4 tbsp
Cashew nut - 4-5 Nos
Raisins - 3-4 Nos
Jaggery pd - 1 cup
Cardamom pd - a pinch
- Wash and Soak rice and dal for 15 mins.
- Drain the water from rice and dal , In a pressure put rice , dal, water ad milk.
- Pressure cook them for 3- 4 whistles then turn off the flame .
- After the pressure subsides open the lid and and mash them well with a ladle.
- In a sauce pan take the jaggery pd and 1/2 cup water , boil them till one string consistency .
- To check the one string just drop the syrup with a ladle it should form a string while flows drown.
- After it attains the one string consistency add the syrup to the cooked and mashed rice and dal also add the cardamom pd .
- In a low flame mix them well till well combined and add ghee .
- Cook them for 2 mins while mixing them .
- In a another sauce pan heat 1 tbsp ghee and saute cashews and raisins till they turn slight brown .
- Transfer the roasted cashews and raisins to the pongal and mix well.
- Enjoy them warm!!
Linking this to Tamizhar samayal Tuesday whose brain child is +nalini suresh .