I love to use leftovers and experiment a new recipe with them instead of heating them and having the same. I know this is a simple and most favorite breakfast or tiffin to have when you have leftover steamed idli. This is almost made in every home in south India and this is one of my fav too. Idli upma is my all time fav breakfast bcoz it takes very very less time to make and a delicious breakfast choice . This idli upma tastes very delicious without any veggies added to it but if you wish you can add any veggie you like to this upma . This is my take of using tomato for this delicious upma . The tanginess of tomato gives it an unique taste and they taste very delicious.
For this Months SYS -event I again got rice and tomato as ingredients this month last time I made Tomato Bisi bele bhath and for this month when I was thinking on what to make with tomato and rice again then I thought y not make this simple and yummy recipe as Idli is nothing but a rice cake , I thought of making this comforting dish. Linking it to Virunthu unna vaanga.
Left over idli's - 4 No
Red chilli pd - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Tomato - 1 small
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp ( chopped)
Oil - 1 Tbsp ( I use Olive oil )
Salt to taste
- Crumble the leftover idli using your fingers.
- In a sauce pan heat oil ,add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Allow them to splutter, then add curry leaves and urad dal.
- Saute it dal turns light brown . Then add tomatoes and saute them till mushy.
- Now add the red chilli pd , turmeric pd , salt , crumbled idli and mix them well.
- Mix them till well combined and garnish them with coriander leaves.
- Serve them warm !!
Add some grated carrots or any veggie you like to this upma to make it more healthy.