For my last day post for this weeks BM I made a Ukrainian dish which is a delicious dessert easy to prepare . I was very doubtful about the outcome but it tasted so yummy with a spongy base and delicious apple topping next time am going to try this with green apple . You can even use puff pastry instead of the dough base . The addition flax seed made it super spongy and yummy , I just loved the cinnamon flavor if you wish you add + 1tsp in the given recipe.
This a super spongy and yummy cake different from any other cake and very flavorful one you would get addicted of. You can drizzle some orange sauce on it too it will taste more yummier. I had to reduce the amount of butter but still they tasted yummy and were spongy.So lets move to the recipe for Ukrainian apple cake - an European dessert. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 36.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter ( softened at room temp)
1 tbsp Flax seeds + 3 Tbsp water (soaked for 5 mins)
1/3 cup cream
3-4 large apple ( peeled, cored and thinly sliced )
2 tbsp Cold butter
1/2 cup brown sugar ( I used Dark brown sugar)
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F . Lightly grease the baking dish.
- Sift together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Cut in 1/2 cup of butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir together the flax seeds solution with the cream and gently mix into the flour until a soft dough has formed. Press into prepared baking dish. Layer the apples into the dish overlapping, in neat rows.
- Prepare the topping by mixing the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Cut in 2 tbsp butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake in preheated oven until apples have softened, and topping has browned, about 25- 30 minutes.