I always love andhra dishes and when we were back in chennai would never miss to taste andhra meal in restaurants. My neighbours here are mostly from andhra and I get enjoy lot of new andhra dishes from them. For this week as you all know I chose combo platter for BM I wanted to try this andhra spl combo platter from the list. This is such an yummy combo and goes so well. Pulusu is an stew prepared two way one this the cooked version another is called pachi pulusu which the uncooked version normally prepared with tamarind pulp and onion with out any cooking. Vankay pachi pulusu and kandi pachadi is an classic andhra dish which served with hot steaming rice.
I am so happy I made this and we enjoyed it a lot . I also make them as a side for dosa or idli . Vankaya( Brinjal) pachi pulusu is made with roasted brinjal being mashed and just mixed with tamarind pulp , onion and other ingredients with out any further cooking needed.You might be wondering how the raw tamarind who taste but it was a delicious outcome the jaggery does it part to balance the taste and this pachi pulusu is an delicious and quick to make dish. This pulusu and pachadi marry so well that am in love with platter. Kandi pachadi is nothing but toor dal chutney as we may call , with very less ingredients this pachadi was so yummy and be sure you grind them a bit coarse to enjoy them . So for my second day of combo platter I am up with this classic andhra dish :) Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 36.
4 medium brinjals
1 onion, finely chopped
1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp grated / Powdered jaggery ( As needed)
1 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves
small lemon sized tamarind (soaked in 1 cup of warm water for 10 mins, extract a thick pulp)
1 1/2 cups water
salt to taste
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
2 No Dry red chillis
1/2 tsp Urad dal
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
- Grease the brinjal with oil and roast them either on a low flame in a stove or You can do as I did microwave then for 10 - 12mins.
- Then peel the skin and mash the pulp.
- In a bowl take the mashed brinjal pulp, add chopped onions, green chillis, tamarind extract, jaggery and salt. Mix them well and add water to get a flowing consistency.
- The jaggery must dissolve completely.
- Heat oil a pan, add the mustard seeds , cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add urad dal , cook till the dal turns slight brown. Add the red chillis, hing and curry leaves.
- Transfer this tempering to the prepared pachadi.
- Garnish them with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
1/2 cup Toor dal
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 clove garlic
A small lemon size tamaraind
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp urad dal
salt to taste
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
1 sprig Curry leaves
1 tsp Oil
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add the toor dal and roast it on low to flame till they turn slight brown in color .
- Then switch off the flame and remove from pan,. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan add another tsp of oil, add cumin seeds and roast them for a mt, add the split gram dal and stir fry .
- Then add red chillis and saute them on low heat. Remove from pan and cool them.
- Once cool, grind the roasted ingredients, Toor dal, garlic, tamarind and salt to a coarse paste by adding very little water .
- For tempering heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add the urad dal and saute them till light brown.
- Add the curry leaves .
- Transfer the tempering to the ground pachadi.
- Serve them with steamed rice and ghee .