Winter calls for lots of soup to be served before the meal and most loved dish to comfort you in a chilly weather . Soups are always loved in our home and mainly the south indian rasam is always loved with some potato stir fry. It may be a cold or cough rasam is the only food which soothes our body and makes us feel better for recovery. Rasam is an south indian fav soup normally made tomatoes and tamarind to make it tangy and there are N varieties of rasam made . My mom used to make rasam very well , but as a kid we didn't enjoy them a lot. My mom had to make our fav side dish so that we ( me & bro) will finish the rasam rice in no time , so she used make either potato stir fry or chenai kizhangu/ suran stir fry these were are most fav stir fries.
Now as days went and we grew up we started liking rasam a lot and we drink them as a soup . My daughter is a fan of rasam rice and she lovely spicy food a lot . To make the traditional rasam rice even more interesting I added Broccoli to it and they taste very delicious. My H loved the addition of veggie to rasam and he enjoyed them. Here to the normal tomato rasam I have added broccoli and they tasted yumm . Now over to the recipe
Broccoli florets - 1 cup or from a medium Broccoli crown remove the florets
Tomato - 2 No ( Medium size)
Tamarind extract - 1/4 cup ( from a lemon sized tamarind soaked in warm water)
Whole red chilli - 2 No
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup ( Chopped)
Garlic - 2-3 pod ( Minced)
Pepper pd - 1/2 tsp
Rasam pd - 1 tbsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Olive oil / ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Blanch the whole tomatoes in enough water till they are immersed .
- Remove the skin and mash the tomatoes with hands ( It tastes good if you mash them using hands).
- Add turmeric pd, cumin pd, rasam pd , salt, tamarind extract, pepper pd to the tomato water.
- In a sauce pan heat oil/ ghee add mustard seeds, cumin seeds after they pop add curry leaves, Whole red chilli and saute .
- Now add minced garlic and saute till it leaves out an aroma.
- Add broccoli florets and saute them till they are done . Don't over cook them just half cook them so that it will taste good.
- Add the Tomato water mixter and simmer the flame.
- After they boil switch off the flame . Rasam will taste good if you allow them to cook only till the first boil and switching the flame off.
- Garnish with chopped coriander Leaves.
- Serve them hot with steamed rice and any vegetable fry like Urulai kizhangu vadhakal/ Potato Stir fry.
- You can even blanch the broccoli and add to the rasam.
- You can also add mashed toor dal to the rasam and make paruppu broccoli rasam