Today is Tuesday and a day dedicated to "Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday" living in chennai I loved to cook some authetic tamil nadu spl recipe even though we were mawari's . We are also surrounded with lots of tamil friends so there is no way we can miss any authentic recipe . Our tamil neighbors back in India where so kind enough to share all the palagarams they made for any festive occasion and we used to relish them at home. I used to try some tamil nadu spl recipes from them and we used to enjoy them a lot :). My most fav among all the tamil nadu spl recipe is Kara Kozhambu , which is the spicy gravy with so much aroma and some veggies added to it makes it more delicious. Few days back I made a very delicious kara kozhambu from Nalini of Nalini's kitchen which was most loved kara kozhambu by my H :) The aroma just made me feel ah ha and I totally enjoyed each grain of the rice dipped with this Spicy kuzhambu.
If you all remember in the month start we celebrated nalini's virtual party for which I prepared for tamil nadu spl dishes from her space In which I share her Tirunelvelli Halwa it came out perfect and Now I wanted to share this yummy Kuzhambu which I tried from her space . Drumstick and tomato are great combos and this tangy gravy just is filled with so much aroma that your neighbors will sure know you are making something delicious :) Thanks to nalini for sharing this very delicious kuzhambu . Now over to the recipe ..
Recipe Source : Nalini's Kitchen
10 No Drumstick/muringaikkai( Cut in to 2 inch pieces)- I used the frozen one.
1 Medium Onion(finely chopped)
3 No medium Tomato
1 lemon sized Tamarind (Soaked in water and extract the tamarind juice)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Sambhar pd
1 sprig Curry leaves
4-5 Garlic pods(Minced)
3 tbsp Coriander leaves
3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
To roast and Grind
5-6 Dried red chilly
1/4 cup Coconut (grated)
1 tbsp Coriander seeds
1 tsp Fennel seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
For the tempering
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
Asafoetida a pinch
- In a non stick pan roast the ingredients under "Roast and grind" finally add the coconut and turn off the flame.
- Grind them in a blender to a fine paste , add water if necessary.
- Puree 3 chopped Tomatoes in a blender and keep them aside.
- Cook the drumstick in enough water for 10 mins in microwave till they are done and them drain the water.
- In a sauce pan heat oil add mustard seeds , fenugreek seeds , cumin seeds .
- After the pop add asafoetida , curry leaves and let them splutter.
- Now add the chopped onion and minced garlic , saute them ti the onions turn translucent.
- Then add the tomato puree and boil them till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the ground paste and mix them well. Also Add sambhar pd and tamarind pulp too .
- Boil them till the oil starts separating from the gravy.
- Add the cooked Drumstick and let the kuzhambu boil in low flame till you get the little thick consistency.
- Serve the with steamed rice and papad.
- If using fresh drumstick you can saute them after onions and cook them while the kuzhambu is boiling.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste buds.