As a Kid a use enjoy the masala vadai from the neighbor hood store after coming back from school. Those masala vadai where always delicious to taste and I was like addicted to them. Every once a week to two either My mom used to make masala vadai's or I used to relish the store bought once. Masala vadai where my fav snack which I loved to have any time in a day .My daughter haven't started school yet but I wud love to make her these delicious crispy vadai as she is a savory person !! Masala vadai are delicious crispy appetizers/ snacks which are made with Bengal gram dal . I love the paruppu ( bengal gram dal ) vadai as is But to make is more healthy I would for some healthy ingredient added to it.
Oats Masala vadai was my thought to make it more healthy and increase the taste level. Oats is an absolutely Nutritive and a great ingredient to be included for weigh watchers up there. I love Including oats in my diet. I started to make my usual paruppu vadai while making I just happen to see the Oats pack lying and included them in the vadai with no second thought and the end result you can see them . I loved this healthy snack a lot and with green chutney it just tasted yumm !! I already posted the oats pongal and this my take on Oats vada. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#37.
Channa dal / Bengal gram dal - 1 cup
Instant Oats - 1/4 cup
Onion - 3 tbsp ( finely chopped)
Green chillies - 3-4 Nos ( Chopped)
Curry leaves - 1 -2 sprig ( Chopped)
Coriander Leaves - 1/4 cup ( Chopped)
Fennel Seeds - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
- Wash and Soak channa dal for 2- 3 hours .
- Drain the water completely and put them in a blender .
- Grind them to a coarse batter with out adding any water.
- Just sprinkle some water if needed but don't make the batter watery.
- Pulse the 2-3 times till the batter is of coarse consistency.
- Transfer this batter to a bowl and add all the ingredients and Mix them well.
- Divide the batter to equal parts , shape the vadas using your palm by pressing them.
- Heat oil in a kadai ,slide the shaped vadas into the oil and fry them till golden brown from both the side in a simmer flame so that the inner part of vada cooks well.
- Using perforated ladle remove the fried vadas and transfer them to a kitchen towel to drain off the excess oil.
- Serve them Hot with green or coconut chutney !!
- After add oats to the batter don't leave the batter for long just shape them and fry them. Else it will not shape well and would separate in oil.
- Serve them with any chutney , this vada taste gud with accompaniment.