I had a wish to make this french popular Crème Brûlée a lot as though it was an egg based custard topped with caramel I wanted to make eggless and so this week was the perfect theme to try out this dessert . I saw this in a Tv show and skipping the egg part I followed the recipe and used agar agar and cornflour to get the consistency. Addition of chocolate nut spread was a great twist and made the dessert addictive. This is an very delicious and creamy dessert which are generally served in single serving ramekins. To get the caramel on as I didn't have a Blow torch I used a heated Steal spoon.
This is an very easy to make and delicious dessert which is a popular dessert in french cuisine . In the traditional Creme Brulee they make use of a blow torch to make a crispy caramel crust if you own one you can try with it. This is My fav dessert now and very addictive one.Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#38. .Lets Move on to the recipe..
Milk - 2 1/2 cups
Heavy Cream-1 cup
Corn flour - 3 tbsp
Sugar - 6 tbsp
Nutella / Hazelnut spread - 3 tbsp
China Grass/ Agar - Agar - 1 1/2 tsp
Vanilla Essence-1 tsp
Sugar for the top caramel - 3-4 tsp
- In a bowl Mix 1/2 cup Milk and corn flour and mix them with out any lump formation.
- In a sauce pan add rest of the Milk and heavy cream and warm them.
- After they are warm add cornflour mixture , agar agar,sugar and mix them well.
- Keep them on flame till the agar agar dissolves completely.
- Meanwhile keep on stiring constantly else the milk will stick to the pan.
- After the agar agar is dissolve add nutella and mix them well till they are nicely melted and combined
- strain the milk if any lump is formed.
- Pre heat the oven at 200 C. In a cake tray fill 3/4 of water and keep them ready.
- Pour the creme brulee mixture in ramekans and palce them on the cake tray.
- Bake them in oven for 15- 20 mins till the top starts browning
- Once they are out of oven allow them to cool them refrigerate for 2 hours till they set well.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top heat a spoon and gently touch the sugar with the piping hot spoon till they caramelize.
- Do the same for rest of the ramekins filled with creme brulee.Note : Clean the spoon every time you heat the other ramekins else it might burn.
- Serve and enjoy.