I always love to have Home made stuff but it is a hell a lot of work to make any podi or condiment home but whenever I have mood to make from scratch I do else buy from the store. When I made these Tutti frutti's at Home I totally changed my mind and make them from scratch often and they tasted exactly as the store bought and what can be better to simply say that they are " Home Made". Tutti Frutti literally in Italy means All fruits and they can be made with many dried fruits like apricots, papaya, cherries.. I made them with papaya and they just tested awesome ..
This candied Fruit that is tutti frutti is used as a garnish or topping for many desserts mainly Italian desserts like Spumoni other than that they are used in making cakes , breads, cupcakes, muffins, biscottis , cookies and what not . These come made candied raw papaya tastes just like a tutti frutti and you will sure enjoy them making at home.. This is the post post popular in my blog to give them new look I have revisited the post :).Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#38.
Recipe source : Here
Sugar- 2 cups
Raw papaya- 400gm ( which is nice and green in color)
Food color- I used Green, Orange and red- 1-2 pinch
Vanilla essence - 1-2 drops
- Peel the papaya -remove stalk and skin part of the raw papaya. Remove the seeds and soft white layer in the the inner part of papaya.Cut the papaya into small pieces as small as possible.
- Take enough water in a deep pan to blanch the papaya.
- When the water boils add the papaya pieces and cover and cook for 3 mins. After 3 mins turn off the stove and let them sit for 5 mins covered.
- After 5 mins remove the cover off (in this stage they become transparent ) and strain the papaya .
- In another pan add sugar and 2 cups water.
- Boil them till the sugar dissolves. After the sugar completely dissolves add the strained papaya pieces to it . Now cook them till the sugar syrup form one string consistency, it should become thick.Stir them in between.
- Once the one string consistency is attained remove the pan from stove and add 2-3 drops of vanilla essence Now we are going to divide the papaya dipped in sugar syrup in to two parts as am going to make them to two different colors
- Take two bowls add 1-2 pinch of red and green food color respectively.Now add half of the papaya with syrup in red color and half in the green color.
- Let it sit for 24 hours so that the tutti frutti soaks well in the color and sugar.After 24 hours strain the papaya completely from the syrup. Now spread the papaya pieces on a kitchen towel or a wire net dry them on open air till they are not sticky when you touch them .
- As it is winter it took me about 1 1/2 day to dry these. It is better use a wire rack so that it dries of soon from all the sides if you dry it in a plate you have turn them around so that tutti frutti dries up evenly .
- Store them in an air tight container when they are nice and dry and use them in cakes , cookie, pudding ..