This Post is for Indian cooking challenge a very popular event whose brain child is srivalli.For this March month Varda of varadas kitchen had suggested her Mom's recipe. I like to make Instant Pickle and enjoy them once they are ready. When I saw this recipe I was so sure to try them soon and made them you will not believe I finished them as is than accompanying them with any main dish they were so delicious. I haven't tried adding jaggery in this Instant pickle and they tasted so yumm the spice and the sweet so well thats I licked they as is .
The quantity given by below makes a large batch of Mango pickle but I made only with one Raw mango adjust the measure as much quantity You would like to make. I tried them with green apple My H liked only the mango one than the green apple, But green apple is the perfect alternate if you want to make this pickle.You can serve this pickle curd rice or paratha's or just finish them as is thats what I did :P Lets move on to the recipe...
Recipes Source : Varda's Mom
1/4 Kg or 1/2 lb raw mango
1/2 cup red mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1 cup Jaggery
1/4 cup red chili pepper powder
Salt to taste ( Add less first then if needed you can add more )
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup oil
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tbsp. turmeric powder
- Wash and peel mango.
- Grate mango with coconut scraper using the big tooth ( hole) in them and set aside.
- Grind mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, Jaggery, salt, red chilli pd , Turmeric with 1/2 cup water . Set aside.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds allow them to splutter , add asafoetida and turmeric, turn off the flame . Let this tempering cool.
- Add the groud paste and the cooled tempering to the grated mango and mix well.
- Bottle the in a clean dry glass jar and refrigerate.
- This pickle goes with well rice varieties or with parathas.
- Stay's good for at least 10 - 15 days.
- As its an Instant pickle you can store it only for short period of time.
- Make sure the mango pieces are small enough or grate them as specified , It is absorbing the masala sooner.
- Adjust the red chili pd according to taste Or you can also use paprika for a milder flavor.
- In place of Raw mango You can also try with green apples.