Here I am with my second halwa for the week , Its so exciting to experiment some halwas which might have a different name but taste similar to Indian halwas which we to regularly at our homes.This is one such halwa which was in my to do list for long long time , when we did the long Blogging marathon I choose to make this halwa for letter M but didn't have enough time to make them. Now I take this opportunity to share this different halwa from Oman. Of course needless to say that as it is halwa it is loaded with calories, Not recommended for weight watchers obviously. If you have a sweet tooth then this might be the perfect way to enjoy a jelly like halwa .
The traditional Omani halwa is made with Tapioca ( Cassava) starch so I have done the traditional way but if you don't get you can substitute with Corn starch too. This is a symbol of omani hospitality and generally served with Arabic black coffee.Rose water is used in place of rose essence but I used a hint of rose essence here.This halwa is prepare for many occasions like eid , birthdays and other celebration.There are diffrent ways you can prepare this halwa in oman they prepare special and normal version of the same halwa, the special one has lots of nuts , saffron , sugar loaded were as the normal one is what I have done. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#38. Now lets move on to the second halwa for the week...
Recipe Source : khanlady
1/2 cup Tapioca starch
1/2 cup Water
3 cups sugar
3 cups Water
2-4 tbsp Ghee
A pinch Cardamom pd
A pinch Nutmeg pd
Few drops of rose essence
1/4 tsp Red color gel
Few Saffron strands
2 tbsp Toasted sesame seeds
- In a bowl put the tapioca starch and the red gel color.
- Add 1/2 cup water little by little and make a lump free paste. .
- In a sauce pan heat sugar and water and when it starts boiling add nutmeg,saffron strands, cardamon and mix well.
- Now slowly add the tapioca starch mixture while continuously stiring them.
- It is recommended to use a wooden spoon and be careful add the mixture will splutter a lot.
- Keep on stiring them till it thicken , Add ghee in regular intervals and cook them till the mixture leave the corners of the pan.
- Add rose essence and toasted sesame in the end and stir them well.
- Pour the halwa in a greased cake pan / serving dish.
- They go well with Arabic black coffee.
- Instead of tapioca starch you can also use corn starch . I used to see the difference but both gives the same result.
- You can skip sesame seeds and all roasted nuts if you like.