Jammu kashmir a paradise for tourist and known for its natural beauty . I even wanted to make a huge spread for jammu kashmir but was struck up and am still lagging to prepare so many states So had to do some daily cooking and a huge thali was a tough task will include some more to this post or make a separate post once am done with this months Bm. Am not happy with this post but had do go ahead and post this as I was already lagging and behind :( . Any ways Coming to jammu I planned for a mini thali with only 4 dishes from this state .I know I haven't done justice will sure come up with a spread once am done cooking for other states. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#39.
In kashmir the non veg recipes are more popular over veg dishes becoz of the cold climate there people love eating non veg .Here too the mustard oil is very well used in all the dishes so that they get the heat to keep them warm.Here the wazwan meals are very famous which is nothing but a wide banquet of very traditional kashmiri non veg meals which has about 36 course and every thing is meat based , there special cooks only to make these spread for guests and this usually is served for dinner as the day long cooking is done. This wazwan meals is generally done in muslim homes in kashmir but there are diffrent styles followed in kashmiri pandits and rajputs homes.The very fav beverage been consumed here are Hot cup of Noon chai and kahwah.
I planned to make a very simple lunch thali with only 4 dishes.. Bakarkhani is a very traditional bread prepared and they usually have it for tea but here I used them as Roti to go with the accompaniments, this Bakarkhani are also made is pakistan and bangladesh but they have their own variations . Haak is another important sabzi made with the available greens there. Paneer Kaliyan is another traditional kashmiri gravy which is make to go with some roti. And the last one is my fav colorful and very delicious pulao which has the mixture of veggies and fruits :)
Kashmiri Mini Thali
Recipe Source : adapted from Here
Maida / All purpose Flour- 1 1/2 cup
Semolina - 1/4 cup
Active Yeast - 1 tsp
salt to taste
Milk - 2 tbsp
Sugar -2 tbsp
Cardamom pd - a pinch
Ginger pd - a pinch
Ghee / Butter - 3 tbsp
- In a bowl mix Flour, semolina, salt , sugar, yeast, Milk, cardamom pd, ginger pd, ghee and mix them well.
- Add water little by little and knead to a smooth dough.
- Leave it cover to rest till it doubles in size.
- Punch the dough and divide them into equal parts and roll them in to balls .
- In this stage you can spread ghee and and flour roll them and twirl the dough and then roll them again but I skipped this part.
- Roll each ball like a roti and slit some vertical strips not all the way through only the top part of the rolled dough should have slit.
- Now heat a grill / Tawa and roast the roti both the sides till they are cooked and you see some brown spots.
Kohlrabi -1 cup ( Chopped)
Spinach/ Collard Greens - 2 Cup ( chopped)
Salt to taste
Baking pd - 1/4 tsp
Green chillies/ Red chillies - 1-2 Nos
A pinch of Asafoetida
Oil -2 tsp
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and asafoetida , chopped kohlrabi and saute them well.
- Now add Spinach and saute them again for a while.
- Add salt, red chillies and baking pd and mix well.
- Add little water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Serve them hot with rice.
Paneer - 2 cups Cubed
Onion - 1 large
Almonds - one fistful
Pepper corn - 1 tsp
Dry red chilli - 2 No
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric pd - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli pd - 1/2 tsp
Cumin pd - 1/4 tsp
Coriander pd - 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick - 1/2 inch piece
Cloves - 1 No
Cardamom - 1 No
Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
- In a kadai heat 1/2 tbsp oil add peppercorns , dry red chillies and saute.
- Then add onions and saute them well till they are translucent.
- Turn off the flame and cool them.
- In a blender transfer the sauteed onions and add badam to it.
- Grind this to a smooth paste.
- Now in a pan heat remaining oil add cinnamon, cloves , cardamom.
- Once they pop add ginger garlic paste and saute them.
- Now add the ground paste and let them boil , after 5 mins add red chilli pd , turmeric pd , coriander pd, cumin pd and mix them well.
- Simmer and cook them till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the cubed paneer and again cook them till the paneer are soft and oil gets separated from the corners of the gravy.
- Serve them hot with Bakarkhani or any roti.
Basmati rice - 1 cup ( But i used the normal rice)
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
turmeric pd- 1/4 tsp ( Optional)
Raisins - as needed
Cashews - 5 No
Saffron strands - few
Green peas - 1/4 cup
Pomegranate seeds - 3 tbsp
Tutti frutti - 1 tbsp
Apple - 1/2 cup
Cinnamon stick - 1 inch piece
Cloves - 2 No
Cardamom- 2 No
- Cook rice in a rice cook or a vessel see to that the rice are separated.
- In a pan heat ghee add raisin,Cardamom,cloves,cinnamon and cashews saute till they are light brown.
- Add peas and saute till they are done.
- Add turmeric pd and cooked rice to it.
- Also add salt and sugar and stir them well.
- Turn off he flame add apple, pomegranate,safron strand and mix them.
- Serve them garnished with some tutti frutti
- You can include green chillies and onions in the recipe I haven't added though.