After a long gap am posting a HBC post I so missed baking a lot. Baking something is a great stress buster for a blogger ,I hope all might agree with me. Lately when I checked this months HBC challenge I was strongly attracted by this wonderful dessert from Middle eastern cuisine , I immediately made my mind to make it ASAP and enjoyed this delightful beauty a lot. Though am not a big fan of sweets I love to have them occasionally and I have my H who has a sweet tooth , I just can't stop making desserts. So for this month Nupur of UK rasoi is hosting HBC and she challenged us with some amazing Arabic desserts from which I chose the very fav Egyptian/ Arabian Basbousa which is super soft cake made with semolina . The semolina coconut combination is just mind blowing and you will sure enjoy this super soft cake.
Basbousa is middle eastern fav dessert which is cake like which is not over sweetened but it is soaked in sugar syrup and flavored with some rose water.This cake can be prepared with egg or without egg, with coconut or with out coconut, with Milk or yogurt so there can be so many versions in the recipe.The batter is generally prepared a day ahead traditionally but I rested it only for 20 - 30 mins in fridge. Make sure you rest the basbousa for little while before serving as the sugar syrup takes time to soak well in semolina cake. I used the leftover basbousa to make another interesting dessert will reveal in the next post.. Till then enjoy this eggless basbousa :)
Recipe source : The cookie shop
Semolina - 2 Cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Baking pd - 3/4 tsp
Coconut - 1/2 cup
Milk - 3/4 cup
Butter - 1+ 1/4 Stick
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Vanilla extract - Few drops
Blanched and peeled Almonds - Few ( can use cashews if you don't have almonds)
For Sugar syrup
Sugar -1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Lemon - 1 tsp
Rose essence - 1/4 tsp
- To make the syrup heat water and sugar in a sauce pan.
- Boil them until the sugar dissolves completely and it starts bubbling.
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- Turn of of the flame and the add Rose essence.
- Cool the syrup to room temperature.
- In a large bowl Mix semolina , baking pd, shredded coconut,sugar, salt and mix them well.
- Add melted Butter and Milk to the mixture and stir them till well combined.
- The batter will be nice thick but not too dry.
- Grease a pie pan or a cake tin before you place parchment paper on it.
- Again Grease the parchment paper and the pour all the batter into the tin.
- Level them with the help of a ladle/ spoon.
- Allow the batter to rest in the refrigerator for 20 mins.
- After 20 mins remove the tin and cut the cake into diamond or square shapes.
- before baking them.
- Place a almond on each piece and then bake it in a preheated oven at 350 F for 20 mins.
- After 20 mins prick a tooth pick and test whether if it comes out clean.
- If it comes of out clean remove the pan from the oven and again make the diamond or square cuts as you did before with the help of the mark.
- Bake the cake again for 20 mins till the crust become light brown.
- Once the cake it done remove it from the oven and pour over the sugar syrup on the hot cake slowly all over.
- Allow the cake to soak in the syrup for hours and then you can enjoy this super soft and yummy semolina cake.
- Cut the pieces and serve. You can refrigerate it and then have it the next day too, Just warm it up and enjoy.