My masi made this thakkali kurma once for lunch when I visited her home and It tasted so delicious only then I knew that we can prepare Kurma with tomatoes too, this was 7 yrs ago . I was thinking that kurmas can only be prepared with mixed veggies which is accompanied with parotta and idli dosa . But My masi / chithi proved me wrong and she said we can prepare many types of kurmas and this the simple one.She is a great inspiration for me when it comes to cooking.. She just loves cooking and prepares all south india dishes very well, its from her I learnt some south indian recipes.
Now coming to the kurma, this is very simple and easy to make you can also make it in another method which is by grinding fennel and fresh grated coconut and then adding it to the gravy . Some add Poppy seed to the gravy to thicken it thats the chettinadu version. I have a very simple to make version of thakkali kurma here . This is just very simple and one day I had no vegetables available in my fridge, just had tomatoes and onion and this was the perfect curry to enjoy. I served this kurma with chapathi and enjoyed it a lot but it tastes great with idiyappam , idli, and dosas too !!..
Tomatoes – 2 Nos ( chopped)
Bay leaf – 1 No
Cinnamon – 1 stick
Cardamom – 2 No
Green Chillies – 2 Nos
Onion – 1 No ( chopped)
Turmeric pd – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli pd – 1 tsp
Coriander pd – 1/4 tsp
Cumin pd – 1/4 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coconut Milk – 1 cup ( you can prepare fresh coconut milk by grinding fresh coconut with water in a mixer and then straining the milk )
Oil – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp ( chopped)
Salt to taste
- In a kadai heat oil , add cardamom, cinnamon, Fennel seeds, curry leaves and bayleaf.
- After they pop add chopped Onion and saute it till translucent.
- Add green chillies and saute them well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook them till they turn mushy and there is no chunks of tomatoes any more.
- Add salt , red chilli pd, turmeric pd, coriander pd and cumin pd.
- Mix them well till combined.
- Add little water and mix them .
- After the raw smell goes of from the masala add the coconut milk.
- Let it boil for few seconds and then turn off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve them Hot with chapathi’s.This also taste great with idli dosa and Idiyappam .
Linking this to Tamizhar samayal Tuesday ..